Resistor used on SB6121 & SB6141

JTAG work on Surfboard cable modem.

Moderator: justsomeguy

Pir8pete

Resistor used on SB6121 & SB6141

Post by Pir8pete »

In soldering many of the modems I have found the resistor @ (R155) to be frail and would like to know where I could order some for replacements?
I'm guessing the Sb6141 uses the same resistor value?

Here's a local place that might have some, but first I need to know it's value? -> http://www.active123.com/

Synbios

Post by Synbios »

Do you have experience soldering SMT components?

Just check the resistance with an ohmmeter and buy a high quality replacement of the same resistance.
teddyalmonds

Post by teddyalmonds »

Pete, why are you still soldering to the SPI dude? Just use clips.
andy m

Post by andy m »

use the wire solder to the chip better contact to the chip better thte soic clip trust does not last 2 mins those clips
teddyalmonds

Post by teddyalmonds »

andy m wrote:use the wire solder to the chip better contact to the chip better thte soic clip trust does not last 2 mins those clips
Andy, if you put the clip on right then there will be no problem.
Gruber

Post by Gruber »

I agree, no problem at all with clips, they rule!
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Pir8pete wrote:In soldering many of the modems I have found the resistor @ (R155) to be frail and would like to know where I could order some for replacements?
I'm guessing the SB6141 uses the same resistor value?
Well, I don't know if the R155 in SB6141 has the same value as SB6121 but if that resistor has the same value in SB6120 then it is 470 Ohms. Here are the surrounding components:

Unfortunately currently I don't have an SB6121 circuit diagram which may be totally different. In the SB6120 the above resistor is obviously used for the Line Activity LED. If your R155 is used for the same purpose, then yes, it's the same value. If not don't take the chance. Wait until someone that owns SB6121 measures the value with a multimeter.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Pir8pete wrote:In soldering many of the modems I have found the resistor @ (R155) to be frail and would like to know where I could order some for replacements?
I'm guessing the Sb6141 uses the same resistor value?
It seems to me that the SB6120 uses similar 8MB serial flash. I believe the value you are looking for is 4.7K
Maybe someone else would make the effort to measure and report the exact value on SB6121. Unfortunately I have only SB6120.
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

teddyalmonds wrote:Pete, why are you still soldering to the SPI dude? Just use clips.
I'm going with a new method now, just gotta fix a modem I screwed up.

I'm going to be using double grabbers for the IC and spring push pin point for the ISP points, of these modems SB6120, SB6121, SB6141 and the SB6580 will be easier and less of a chance to mess them up for flashing multi modems on the fly.

these tested and work well, very easy and i'll match the color with my color ribbon wires. -> Image
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

Wolfgang wrote:It seems to me that the SB6120 uses similar 8MB serial flash. I believe the value you are looking for is 4.7K

Maybe someone else would make the effort to measure and report the exact value on SB6121. Unfortunately I have only SB6120.
I found a similar doc for that IC and the lead going out to that resistor said 8.42k, so I don't know now, lol

Digikey has a big list, could someone point me to one that would be the right size?

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en ... ount/65769
teddyalmonds

Post by teddyalmonds »

The grabbers will be good too. Just a little more time to connect them.

They're so freakin' expensive though. Alternatively, if you're ever in the mood to get a clip then get the Pomona 5252. Element14 ships to Ontario in a day.
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

teddyalmonds wrote:The grabbers will be good too. Just a little more time to connect them.

They're so freakin' expensive though. Alternatively, if you're ever in the mood to get a clip then get the Pomona 5252. Element14 ships to Ontario in a day.
thx, i'll check them out ;)
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

Pir8pete wrote:I'm going with a new method now, just gotta fix a modem I screwed up.

I'm going to be using double grabbers for the IC and spring push pin point for the ISP points, of these modems SB6120, SB6121, SB6141 and the SB6580 will be easier and less of a chance to mess them up for flashing multi modems on the fly.

these tested and work well, very easy and i'll match the color with my color ribbon wires. -> Image
Connectors on the ribbon are too big to have a tight fit and, solder doesn't adhere to the grabbers so I can't connect the wires directly to them. What connectors you guys using that I can solder to the wires and fit the grabbers?

Trying to make this -> Image
teddyalmonds

Post by teddyalmonds »

You should be able to strip the wires and connect to the plugs without the need of soldering. The tops come off on the grabbers and let you feed wire in and twist it.
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

teddyalmonds wrote:You should be able to strip the wires and connect to the plugs without the need of soldering. The tops come off on the grabbers and let you feed wire in and twist it.
I'm going to try these -> http://catalog.e-z-hook.com/item/all-ca ... r=&by=prod

I emailed them and he said the following;

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Go to our website (http://www.e-z-hook.com) and on the 1st page where it says (KEYWORD) in the box, pull down the drop-down menu to Part Number
and put in 9205 and hit GO!. It will bring up the small gold plated .025 square socket which can be "crimped onto the leads of your ribbon cable. We use a machine we designed to do this as we do many, but you can do it carefully with small LONG NOSE pliers. Buy the 9205-HS (it has the heat shrink cut to length.) First slip the heat shrink onto the wire, then crimp the 9205 onto the wire. you can touch a dab of solder on after crimping, if you like
but you may not need to. The two pointed tabs should wrap over the INSULATION for good holding strength. Then bring forward the Heat shrink and apply heat. You'll get better with each one.

Regards,

Phelps Wood

E-Z-Hook, Division of Tektest, Inc.
626-446-6175 - general phone
800-995-4665 - order desk
626-446-0972 - fax
[email protected]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++