E38 read / write issue

JTAG software bug report.
58nate

E38 read / write issue

Post by 58nate »

I am cloning a E38 ECU to another to see if I can read and write the ECU correctly. I read and saved both the master and slave on both ECU's before I started so they would be backed up. I wrote ECU #1 master and slave .bin files to ECU #2. I verified them to make sure they copied and matched.

The problem is ECU #2 is dead to any OBDII scanners that I have and it worked before the write. Seems like the ECU isn't booting up. I can hook up to it and read both master and slave chips, compare them to ECU #1 files and everything is correct. I even tried to flash it back to it's original files but it still will not boot and let me scan it with any OBD scantool.

I wonder if the data isn't landing in the correct address. Maybe it needs an offset?
usbbdm

Re: E38 read / write issue

Post by usbbdm »

Do you have good backup for #2 and program back?
Is there additional memory (like EEPROM) in the system needs to be cloned?
58nate

Post by 58nate »

Yes, I backed master and slave up on ECU #2 before I wrote to it. After I couldn't connect to the ECU with OBD scanners I flashed it all back to original files that worked before and it still can not be connected to with OBD scanners. I was just wondering if anyone has actually read, erased, programed one of these and run tested it afterward.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Yes the person sent me the E38 and their group has done this.
There is a facebook group. Have you joined in?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Would you mind send me your backup of #2 and let me check if you have a good back up.
58nate

Post by 58nate »

I'll send both in the morning. I don't use facebook but might look it up.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Your backup for the main CPU on the second unit is clearly bad. I do not understand how you get that.