DCT700 Block update/Loss of channels

JTAG on dct2500/dct700
merkin

Post by merkin »

Wolfgang wrote:Thanks for the tip, never thought of that. I am not worried about the keys, if I had a "Not Authorized" message I would know what to do but this is driving me crazy. It suddenly stopped in one day on all boxes, just a new channel map and all started to show "One Moment Please" including my Tivo. I don't think they would change 99.99% of the keys in one night. I know it goes gradually, the channels will start showing "Not Authorized" and in a few days the keys are gone except for the local channels but I don't get the local channels either so this is not it. I will try your advice to see if that will help although I haven't done it before. Cheers!
What's up wolfie?
My local headend encrypts OTA channels for about almost a year now...maybe your locals are encrypted also.
Plug the coax into your Tele and do a qam scan to be sure.

All basic cable channels (including HD) is using a new encryption. It's actually less secure according to the docs. Same encryption that is used for on-demand.

How else can the new HD-DTA decrypt?...and there is no OOB tuner on these suckers.

Here is a good article
http://www.heavyreading.com/document.as ... 0&site=cdn
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

merkin wrote:What's up wolfie?
My local headend encrypts OTA channels for about almost a year now...maybe your locals are encrypted also ...
Well merkin, I had a few health hick-ups this summer and I should be back to work this Monday after a few not easy medical procedures. Anyway, back to the subject, you are quite right about locals being scrambled too, I just mentioned that because most of the people complain that way. I have lost the locals on my TV w/out a box long time ago. I actually never used Comcast for locals since most of the OTA locals on my antenna are in high def while everything that was not encrypted by Comcast (while it lasted) was in standard def.
There is still something un-explainable on my boxes, if there was a key problem they would display "Not Authorized" message. And I still have just a couple of channels that are opening fine and I know they are encrypted for sure (like DIY channel) whose packets IDs are accidentally matching the new channel map but 99% are gone to "One Moment Please". I am just missing an updated NVRAM, I guess. I will have to try the trick with the time that cherrymachine suggested once again although I think I gave it a try once earlier but without success.
As far as the article about DTAs, it's really interesting but I was under impression that DTAs are history. The idea of DTAs was just a transition from analog to keep customers with old TV to have the basic lineup but without any M-Cards so they were breaking the FCC rule about the separated security so I thought those would eventually disappear. How old was this article, I couldn't verify the date published?
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

I had a Thomson DTA sent to me last week without requesting that I needed one and found the cute little Cube to be JUNK. Interesting that they're not two way communicators. I couldn't get a LOT of the channels on my Digital Preferred lineup. Certainly no Premiums. No Music channels, none of the Sports channels on the 700 tier. I guess that Xfinity was doing a hustle to generate Revenue. Extra Rent, extra Taxes/Fees, extra Shipping/Handling. These folks at Xfinity have testicles that hang low to ground. Only God knows how they got to be as diverse as they have. One day, a Supervisor told me that they're a Government Franchise. I wonder if he was expecting me to stand and salute the Flag ? They're second only to Microsoft. Pretty much impossible to sue in Municipal Court. They leave a Paper Trail behind them. What a Monopoly !
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

cherrymachine wrote:correct your box time to 2014 using the firmware tab. wont upgrade if this is out of date
I tried and it is a no-go. Are you sure it comes out of the firmware? When I read/load NVRAM I can get the box time and I can edit the time zone (360 min for 6 hours difference from UTC/GMT) DS start and DS end and all looks OK, changes were accepted. Unfortunately from the firmware I can't read this box time info or this is about different time you were talking about? Please explain.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Don't think that there is any other way to adjust your Mountain Daylite time. I've learned a lot from Mr. Machine and I would be led to believe that ya do it thru the NVRAM . But, I'll let Mr. Machine speak for self. His voice is slightly louder than mine here.
Wolfgang

No Channels Issue Update

Post by Wolfgang »

I just wanted to update the status, it was just a channel map update, I got all the channels back by providing an up to date NVRAM, it's all good now.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Hey, Dude - let's pretend that it's New Years Eve and grab some pots/pans and some Soup Spoons and start banging on them and become merry ! Remarkable that an NVRAM was able to inhibit service to that extent. One Moment, Please threw a Monkey Wrench into the mix and had you shaking head from side to side ! It's truly Security from Hell at their best. Actually, that's not their best, they've got many more Magic tricks in their arsenal. They've got a lot more than Pots/Pans - they've got Fireworks and Bottle Rockets ! And, those Rockets get some altitude.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I know key change happens once in a while but to lose all the channels in one night, that's not the keys.
DeanOfTears

Post by DeanOfTears »

Congrats Wolfgang. A small victory but those are the best to celebrate, aren't they?
moddog

Post by moddog »

Wolfgang wrote:Yeah, it's crazy, it took me 4 months to find the appropriate NVRAM but eventually everything worked just fine. I actually have more channels open now than before since I never had the right NVRAM. With this NVRAM even de-authorized boxes receive plenty of channels, i.e. the basic digital lineup.
It is still a mystery, why none of the boxes would update anything beyond the basic Plat code 3.57. I know key change happens once in a while but to lose all the channels in one night, that's not the keys. Oh well, it's all good now (for a while) LOL.
Congratulation, things like that is hard to find since 99% of the modem tester went in to hibernation. I got hit with a keys change mid night Tuesday night and all channels fully gone sometime yesterday"wish it was a NVs problem". I remember moongoon/killswich ask for something like that and it take him like a round three years to get one.
Good better best
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Haven't gotten it yet, brother. Began on April 1 2013 - April Fools Day. Nobody here will even get close to a discussion about Keys because it's the answer to almost anything. The only way I know how to get Updated Keys is by creating an Account and using the Xfinity 30 day money back window of opportunity to do Magic Tricks. Or, you can do something so impossible that it would make the discovery of the Holy Grail look easy. Go and buy the Macraigor Demon2 USB Tool for $750. and try and find a piece of Software that WILL code new Keys into the unit - this Software is around $1000. no exaggeration. It DOES exist but nobody will talk about this in much the same way that Keys themselves are avoided. I've seen the Great Unknown in my time but, nothing like this. Totally beyond all human belief. You're looking at $1750. expense AND a lot of luck required.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

moddog wrote:... I got hit with a keys change mid night Tuesday night and all channels fully gone sometime yesterday"wish it was a NVs problem". ...
It is known that "One Moment Please" is a mismatch between NVRAM and actual channel map, channels are listed, RF levels have satisfactory SNR but still no picture because packet IDs don't match. This is cheapest countermeasure from caco but there is a remedy as in my case.
It is also known that "Not Authorized" means not valid key was found to decrypt the particular channel (key change took place) and there is no remedy for this (unless you are ready to deal with caco again)
A blank screen on all channels (like someone complained) doesn't fall into any of these categories, looks to me like a reset to factory settings box and disconnected without any channel map (no channel frequency is listed in the Inband Option, levels are zero).
So what is your case, going through the diagnostic menu you may find some more info what exactly is the state of the box. I haven't seen keys to be changed on all channels overnight, they usually disappear a few at the time so this would be something new, anyway the screen message should tell what is happening.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Isn't this refreshing ? It looks as if we have another version of Capone on our hands. Biggest difference being that Capone had a unique Attitude that went with his territory. Wolfgang explains it like he's in a Lecture Hall trying to learn a bunch of College kids. Don't know which Server is serving the Dog down in Jamaica but, in the USA, a Black screen is indicative of a Disconnect status when ya go into the Diags Menu on Page 6 or 7. It knocks EVERYTHING down to the ground. No Local Channels, no nuthin ' . Almost always a ShutOff or a NoPay shutdown. I had this happen about a month ago - when I went and reconnected, it TimedOut and I lost the Keys 10 days later. Took 4 days for all of the channels to fade away into oblivion. Like the Man said, it takes 2-4 days to lose the appropriate tiers you once had. A progressive loss of channels unlike what the Dog has seen. I think that CPR can be performed on the Dog's box and, with any luck, may be able to be reconnected. But, I've been wrong before. Nothing new like that.
moddog

Post by moddog »

Wolfgang wrote:It is known that "One Moment Please" is a mismatch between NVRAM and actual channel map, channels are listed, RF levels have satisfactory SNR but still no picture because packet IDs don't match. This is cheapest countermeasure from caco but there is a remedy as in my case.
It is also known that "" means not valid key was found to decrypt the particular channel (key change took place) and there is no remedy for this (unless you are ready to deal with caco again)
A blank screen on all channels (like someone complained) doesn't fall into any of these categories, looks to me like a reset to factory settings box and disconnected without any channel map (no channel frequency is listed in the Inband Option, levels are zero).
So what is your case, going through the diagnostic menu you may find some more info what exactly is the state of the box. I haven't seen keys to be changed on all channels overnight, they usually disappear a few at the time so this would be something new, anyway the screen message should tell what is happening.
Each and every cc do different things in that field, i have all the needed nvram from my aria from legit boxes, with full backup and nvram all channels now say not authorized...so yes it a keys change.
Good better best
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

moddog wrote:Each and every cc do different things in that field, I have all the needed nvram from my area from legit boxes, with full backup and nvram all channels now say not authorized...so yes it a keys change.
You are right, different cacos, different countermeasures. Anyway, Not Authorized means only one thing. I just can't believe that they succeeded to do the key change so quickly. Does your caco accept boxes from third party? I cannot activate anything I get from other sources. I have a few very good almost new HD DVRs that I simply cannot activate because they are caco's property already and if I do I have to pay rent which beats the purpose of buying them. The only DVR that they are willing to activate are Tivos. On the other hand, it takes highest tear of customer support to do the job, endless phone calls, it's just not worth it.