install problems on macOS Sierra

USB BDM software. Bug report.
OffTrack

install problems on macOS Sierra

Post by OffTrack »

A couple of days ago I tried to reinstall the USBJTAGNT software after an upgrade to macOS Sierra and found that it's not possible to install the Framework into /System/Library without disabling the System folder protection. This restriction has been in place for the past two releases of OSX and now macOS.

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... works.html
Third-party frameworks should never be installed in the /System/Library/Frameworks directory. Access to this directory is restricted and is reserved for Apple-provided frameworks only.
I have tried installing the Framework into the /Library/Frameworks which is the correct location for third party code but USBJTAGNT still fails with this message:

Code: Select all

/Applications/USBJTAGNT/USBJTAGNT ; exit;
Segmentation fault: 11
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...none found.
Is it possible for you to update the path to the Framework to the user accessible /Library/Frameworks directory?

For reference this the procedure for bypassing system integrity protection.
Follow these steps to disable SIP:
  1. Restart your Mac.
  2. Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
  3. From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
  4. At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: csrutil disable
  5. Terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled.
  6. From the  menu, select Restart.
You can re-enable SIP by following the above steps, but using csrutil enable instead.
thanks
Paul
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I only have macbook and I will see if it is possible.
OffTrack

Post by OffTrack »

Thanks, it would be very much appreciated.
OffTrack

Post by OffTrack »

After jumping thru the hoops and disabling SIP and reinstalling framework and lib usb drivers I'm still getting the "segfault 11" on start up.

It will start up ok on under 10.11.6 El Capitan with the Framework installed into /Library/Frameworks, so that works without changes.

But this means the install is broken under macOS Sierra....

Any chance of a fix?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I do not have a a macOS Sierra machine to try and thus cannot support it for now. My machine is quite old (A1181).
Koevoet

Post by Koevoet »

usbbdm wrote:I do not have a a macOS Sierra machine to try and thus cannot support it for now. My machine is quite old (A1181).
Is your model on the list ?

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html
Regards
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Mine is 2007 I think and too bad it is not in support list.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I have installed MacOs Sierra on a virtual machine, I should be able to solve this issue soon.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Re-build 0.80 and upload. It runs on macOS Sierra now.
The framework will be unzipped to the same folder as USB JTAG NT (move files to the same folder as USB JTAG NT, Not in Frameworks folder).
OffTrack

Post by OffTrack »

usbbdm wrote:Re-build 0.80 and upload. It runs on macOS Sierra now.
The framework will be unzipped to the same folder as USB JTAG NT (move files to the same folder as USB JTAG NT, Not in Frameworks folder).
Thanks for making the update!

I had the frameworks sitting in ~/Library/Frameworks from when I was messing around last time and this works without any apparent problems with the new versions.

In finder, hold down option while clicking on the Go menu to access the Library folder.
Or

cd ~/Library/Frameworks
from the terminal...