Cable boxes...

USB BDM software. Bug report.
Darkkeep

Cable boxes...

Post by Darkkeep »

Ok...first off, I would like to appologize for the previous post. USBBDM did mention on other forums that the method would crude and only Linux based. Seeing as how I dislike Linux...only advantage I had, was enjoying the ability to make things. My appologies USBBDM, better to ask the man himself you know.

Ok, the question I have is, can all cable boxes be read with this method or only the 2224's and 2244 unit's. I mean, will you have to order digital cable with a 2224 or 2244 and read it to get local channels for your provider? I do understand that the box will read lower channels. Just curious if I am gonna have to subscribe.

I am so new to this and will be asking a lot of questions. As long as I didn't piss anyone off. If so, I appologize again.
cipher

Post by cipher »

If I may gentlemen.

The basic answer would be no, not all cable boxes can be accessed by this usb BDM interface. The usbbdm can connect to a JTAG IEEE 1149.1 based interface. Not all boxes will have this provision. The usbbdm device has supporting software that was created by usbbdm and shares his intellectual knowledge and makes it easy for you for experiment.

You should take the time to read every thing in the forum.

The cable box has a unique address, and using the address the provider generates a DES key and only that address can use that key once it is assigned, thus the authorization of your box by the cable company. If the key is moved to another box it will not work without the correct address. This is controlled by the XC400061 ASIC (XC chip) which is like a key manager. Many channels are analog and the box can be enabled to view standard analog signal without any keys. The TVguide also works. All this was done with the clever mods that usbbdm has accomplished. If the box has a valid authorization from the Certificate Authority (CA) on the original cable system that the box came from then you can do much more with the unit even without an activation.
Darkkeep

Post by Darkkeep »

Unfortunately, I bought the device off E-Bay and is coming from California. I am in the Southern-Mid-West. I believe Comcast is the provider there, Cox is the only provider in this state. Or they are the majority.

So, if the chip was activated by another cable company. I will get error's? I am aware, from what I read, I do need the local channel map to load into the nvram...that was the basis of the first question. But, will I not be able to make a work around?

I am interested in logging...the whole shooting match. Even PPV logging. Only problem is, will the carrier signal not be different since it is cox...and only cox subscribers will be able to benifit? Or is it nothing like Dish to Direct, or Dish Nag1 to Dish Nag2? In other words, does the motorola cpu read the information the same and there is only one way to say 1+1 no matter the provider?

I told you I have a lot of questions. These questions I have not seen. If I overlooked...say so and I will read more.
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

basically the bdm here works on any of the boxes that contain the motorola 68331 cpu. this includes the 2000 sereies of boxes, mainly 2224 and 2244. as cipher descibed if the box isn't from your area then xc chip won't contain the proper keys for your local area. you should be able to connect the box and get analog, guide, and possibly any digital channels that are in the clear. if your cable co will sub them, then i would sub them to one of their best packages for a week or two then cancel. this will get your ppv activated and you can then reconnect the box to get all the channels.
Darkkeep

Post by Darkkeep »

Thank you very much sir. This is exactly what I was looking for. I am in the process of trying to find a reciever still active in the 2000 range. But, is the discovery of other unit's slow...or is it being able to access the CPU like you do with the 2224/2244's?

I have access to a 6000, but won't do any good if I can't read info.
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

the newer units use a broadcom processor and are accessed by using an Ejtag. no real headway made on those yet.
tester5

Post by tester5 »

cheaper for them to no need to put a motorola chip...everything is jtag lately