SPI flash programming.

Here we discuss the JTAG on platforms. CPU,CPLD etc.
usbbdm

SPI flash programming.

Post by usbbdm »

I have played more SPI flash programming recently and realize there are some issues with the current software.
1. Larger than 16M flash is not supported because the address bytes are now 4 bytes instead of 3.
2. Smaller than 1Mbit flash also has issue.
3. Some chip needs to be unlocked before programming can be done. (AT25DF641)
4. Newer chip can be detected automatically with the command 5ah. No more need to add manually to flash.xml. This is similar to CFI we did for Nor flash.

Item 1,2 is already done and just need to find some target to test.
Since we also have SPI flash support through JTAG (MIPS). When there is such demand I will also add these back.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Another chip which someone had asked to support is AT45DB161D.
This chip is very special. It has two configurations, new chip comes with the configuration of sector size of 528 bytes. It can also programmed to use 512 bytes per page. The latter should be used in the system as firmware storage. 528 bytes is more like a memory storage.
Most of the standard SPI flash commands cannot be used with this chip. I think this chip is also going to be obsolete.
DeanOfTears

Post by DeanOfTears »

If I'm reading this right, it is definitely going to be obsolete

http://www.atmel.com/about/quality/obso ... 5DB161D-SU
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

DeanOfTears wrote:If I'm reading this right, it is definitely going to be obsolete

http://www.atmel.com/about/quality/obso ... 5DB161D-SU
Thanks. It was brought to my attention by some user of NT request to support and I did purchased the sample to test. All the commands are different than the industrial standard.
Maybe I can delay the ATMEL chip. However the auto detect flash is important since more and more people asking for newer type of SPI flash support and newer flash should all support SFDP.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I can now flash AT45DB161D chip with both 528 Bytes per page and 512 bytes per page configuration. Most of the SPI programmer does not support this chip. Now USB JTAG NT can be used to program this chip. This will be added in next release.
sidlas

Post by sidlas »

:-D perfect