DTCP / Cable Card - MAybe Off Topic

Misc forums. Device donation, device swap. Off the topic etc.
Drbuzzo

DTCP / Cable Card - MAybe Off Topic

Post by Drbuzzo »

This may be off topic, but I am posting it here because the persons who frequent this board tend to be very savvy when it comes to cable television protection.

There are a number of cable card tuners out there. Some are build in to PC's and some are network tuners, such as the Silicon Dust tuner. Others are pat of units like TIVOS.

IF you have one of these cards, you can copy, transmit, stream encode, transcode and chop up any programing you want as long as it is marked "Copy Freely." But much of the programing is not. It's "Copy Once" or "Copy Never." Any programing with this flag will not be playable on your favorite open source media player and you certainly can't copy it or do anything else.

Such content is usually protected by DTCP or DTCP-IP. You can't even play these back on your favorite players. The only players which will play then are those certified by Cablelabs.

For Software, this means Windows MEdia Center. IT will play it. It may cache it, but it can't transfer it or reencode it. TIVO will also do this, but again, with restrictions.

I read recently about an epromm hack for TIVO that will allow you to copy freely the content to your computer and edit it without the DAMN DRM. You still need to record it on the TIVO, but when it times to transfer or play it back, the TIVO can be made to ignore the "Copy Once" or "Copy Never" flag.

This got me thinking: If a hardware hack can do this for TIVO, perhaps it would be possible to hack the cablecard itself or hack the receiver (The Network Receiver, USB receiver or whatever) to ignore the copy flag and basically stream a "clean" unencrypted version of the video stream.

Perhaps this could be done with a JTAG or by removing and remprogramming an EPROMM.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Carlito's way

your post

Post by Carlito's way »

hi buzzo, just read your post. A friend of mine told me there's a linux tool that does the work for you pulling everything out the tivo dvr. not sure how it works but can reach him and find more. have you work on the card itself?
junctionbox

Linux device

Post by junctionbox »

Carlitoway my friend can you pm in regards to you friend you know thanks
junctionbox
Boxnut

Re: DTCP / Cable Card - MAybe Off Topic

Post by Boxnut »

An old post and not familiar with your card. What I can say is the dish IRD smart cards have a good lid on them, making them near air tight.
The PCI box cards such as M-card, you can forget hacking those. I can be done with a chip factory and lots of $$, but far from cost effective.
:? :?
Some of my information may be incorrect, incomplete,or just plain wrong. Seems I am human. :D