Question for the networking experts. :D

Misc forums. Device donation, device swap. Off the topic etc.
MrRogers

Question for the networking experts. :D

Post by MrRogers »

Ok, so here's the deal. This is a question for the experts that have experience doing this and having it successfully work.

I have 2 Motorola SB6120's both with an average speed of the following on each one by itself:

150MBps Download
25MBps Upload

Now my fundamental question is this, is there any piece of hardware out there that I can use successfully to combine my 2 modems in to one connection? Basically like load balancing but without using software to do it, I have 1 ethernet port on all my computers and right now I am using 1 cable modem, but I would like to use both to get maximum speeds (combined). I am using the Netgear WNDR4500 N900 Router (It can handle connection of 450MBps + 450MBps (total of 900MBps), is there any way to combine my two modems and use this router at the same time to double my wireless connections as well?

I assume I would need a router that is dual WAN capable, but want to know how to maximize my speeds and be able to use the speed effectively.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some pointers or hint as to what hardware I should use to combine my modems for double speed. I was looking on ebay and saw a Nexland Pro Turbo 800, any idea of this would work and if so would it work with my router?

If anyone out there can break it down for me and give me a breakdown of what I would need + cost etc I would be appreciative!

EDIT: Would something like this work for me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... alParent=1

And could I possibly hook up my Netgear WNDR4500 N900 to this so I get wireless as well to combine the modems and the wireless + wired?

Thanks in advance.
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

your not asking for much are you :rolleyes:
live your life like a beer commericial
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Does dd-wrt do the job? The concept is not new but only hard core testers are doing it.
stomperz

Post by stomperz »

It dose work with software.
Did this years ago, forgot most but remember I had a WRT54G With sw-mod.
I think both modems had to be the same, not sure about speed.
I know at the time it was not worth it with free modems all over the place.
Good Luck
Sorry for my poor English, it is my primary language.:rolleyes:
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Here is what you are looking for.........

"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
stomperz

Post by stomperz »

Yes that is a good paste of Load Balancing but, Load bonding is a different Bird.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5508
What's the difference between load-balancing and circuit bonding/

This question has been raised numerous times regarding multiple DSL/cable connections.

Load balancing is the process of spreading out data streams across different connections. For example, say that we are on a two user network and user one is downloading an ISO. His data will go through connection one (assuming two ISP connections). When user two tries to use the internet, the load balancing router/software senses that connection one is busy and routes user two's data across the second ISP connection. In this situation, having two 1024kbps circuits does not mean that each computer has 2048kbps available to them, only 1024kbps (each computer only can use only one ISP circuit).

Circuit bonding*/muxing is a very different approach to increasing your bandwidth. Unlike load balancing, the bits of all clients are spread across all connections. So, unlike the above example, two 1024kbps circuits will equal 2048kbps (and each computer has all of that bandwidth available, unlike above). However this approach is much more expensive. Circuit bonding requires two routers and two devices called "muxs". One router and "mux" is placed at the ISP end and the other router and "mux" is placed at the customer end. You ISP must support this configuration as well, and often times providers will only do this type of connection with T1 circuits.
I think by saying speed he wants speed. This is kinda vague.
I assume I would need a router that is dual WAN capable, but want to know how to maximize my speeds and be able to use the speed effectively.
Like my DCP3000 bonds 4 channels for combined speed!! more speed SEE MORE MORE will we ever be satisfied. in the good old days 130 was not fast enough. lol

Then
Now
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

stomperz wrote:Yes that is a good paste of Load Balancing but, Load bonding is a different Bird.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5508

I think by saying speed he wants speed. This is kinda vague.

Like my DCP3000 bonds 4 channels for combined speed!! more speed SEE MORE MORE will we ever be satisfied. in the good old days 130 was not fast enough. lol

Then
Now
I agree, however it's not uncommon for terminologies to be used incorrectly.
They may have said balancing but what they describe is bonding.........
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
stomperz

Post by stomperz »

CAPONE wrote:I agree, however it's not uncommon for terminologies to be used incorrectly.
They may have said balancing but what they describe is bonding.........
Ya, ok whatever you say, I know your rite.
Just trying to Bond my post count or is it balance? :D
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

stomperz wrote:Ya, ok whatever you say, I know your rite.
Just trying to Bond my post count or is it balance? :D
LOL, I am not saying I am Right or you are wrong, Just pointing out a fact of LIFE. While the diagram say load balancing, the picture itself is showing that it's combining the 4 10mb and out putting 30 to 40mb at the other end which as you point out would be bonding, not balancing.
geant90

Post by geant90 »

pfsense

It is free just make sure you have 3 NIC's on the PC total. For example : I have an ITX motherboard with dual on-board nics and I purchased a USB3 gigabit NIC and done deal. or you can buy an 4 port NIC PCIE 8x for $200 on newegg. You can use your previous router as a switch if you do not own one. and use it as AP, disable the DHCP server and firewall and turn the WAN port into a LAN (same vlan) port.

They're plenty of bonding tutorials or simply visit the wiki

You can even set a fail over if you have a paid connection which I doubt you do . . . . .

Also do not bother with attempting to do this on dd-wrt it is alot of CLI and dose not do well with dynamic IP's. ( manual update)