Want to donate...how?

This is to recognize people who had donate their device for testing.
NathanA

Want to donate...how?

Post by NathanA »

Hello, everybody.

I just ordered a USBJTAG NT a few minutes ago, and can't wait to receive it! I've used a homemade parallel port JTAG in the past, and it was dirt slow.

I have a device I'd like to donate to the cause, but I haven't found anywhere on this site that explains where to send it. It's an 8x8 DTA310 SIP VoIP telephony adapter.

It is an interesting adapter in many respects...it was only ever used by the 8x8 Packet8 phone service in the U.S., and the CPU and software that drives it were both created in-house at 8x8/Packet8. Before they were a service provider, they were an engineering company who created embedded VoIP systems that they licensed to other companies. After they shut down their engineering division (Netergy Microelectronics), they continued to manufacture adapters for their own use. These adapters have a highly customized firmware for the Packet8 service itself, and because they are locked to Packet8 by their restrictive firmware, the adapters seem to be in plentiful supply for fairly cheap.

It turns out that the DAT310 is very close to the original Netergy reference design ATA, and so firmware for other ATAs that use the same chip can often be loaded onto the DTA310 in order to unlock it. Unfortunately, there are some firmwares out there that will brick the device when used on the DTA310, and others that don't cooperate with the Packet8 bootloader. So I'm mostly interested in being able to reflash bricked DTA310s that become dead after testing different firmware on it.

The CPU in the DTA310 is a Netergy Microelectronics Audacity-T2U NM4750AWAA. There is a JTAG header on the board, but it is only 2x4 pins. This CPU has a MIPS-X5 at its core, so I have to believe it is implementing EJTAG.

I have started compiling a list of the various Audacity-T2U based ATAs out there:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r256149 ... d-ATA-list

There have been some efforts in the past by members of the dslreports.com community to interface with the DTA310 for unbricking purposes by using the 40-pin HOST port on the board, but I think that trying to get the JTAG port working is a much more feasible idea, especially since it is a MIPS CPU.

So if you can tell me where to ship you one, I will do just that.

Thanks for your work on USBJTAG, and for your efforts on these devices!

-- Nathan
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I do not know if MIPS-X5 is a MIPS. Goggle it
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 408AAOS9eH

Typical MIPS JTAG uses 14 pins. I have never used 24 pin JTAG. This is not a very popular CPU compared to ARM or MIPS.
NathanA

Post by NathanA »

usbbdm wrote:I do not know if MIPS-X5 is a MIPS. Google it
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 408AAOS9eH
Interesting...I'll do some more searching around to see if I can confirm this. Thanks.
Typical MIPS JTAG uses 14 pins. I have never used 24 pin JTAG. This is not a very popular CPU compared to ARM or MIPS.
It's not a 24-pin JTAG, it's a 2x4 (== 8-pin) JTAG instead of a 2x5 (10-pin) like on the Linksys WRT54G and clones, or a full 2x7 (14-pin) MIPS EJTAG connector.

According to a post from rcilink on dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r131930 ... AC-address), it has at least these signals:

TMS
TCK
TRST
TDI/SCANEN
TDO

Also, Myson Century is one of the licensees of the Netergy Audacity-T2U, and makes a clone of it called the CS6220. The CS6220 is an exact clone, but they make cheaper, reduced-function versions underneath the CS622x designators (all of which have a MIPS-X5 core). Myson describes CS6223 as having an "EJTAGv2.6 Development Interface."

If I sent you one at no cost to you :) would you at least take a quick look at it?

Thanks again,

-- Nathan
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

NathanA wrote:Interesting...I'll do some more searching around to see if I can confirm this. Thanks.

It's not a 24-pin JTAG, it's a 2x4 (== 8-pin) JTAG instead of a 2x5 (10-pin) like on the Linksys WRT54G and clones, or a full 2x7 (14-pin) MIPS EJTAG connector.

According to a post from rcilink on dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r131930 ... AC-address), it has at least these signals:

TMS
TCK
TRST
TDI/SCANEN
TDO

Also, Myson Century is one of the licensees of the Netergy Audacity-T2U, and makes a clone of it called the CS6220. The CS6220 is an exact clone, but they make cheaper, reduced-function versions underneath the CS622x designators (all of which have a MIPS-X5 core). Myson describes CS6223 as having an "EJTAGv2.6 Development Interface."

If I sent you one at no cost to you :) would you at least take a quick look at it?

Thanks again,

-- Nathan
If you donate one to Him, I am sure he will Look Into it. The 8 Pin Connector Sounds like the It could be the Same configuration of the *Pin connector found in th SA/Webstar/Netgear Modems.
Have you tryed that?
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
NathanA

Post by NathanA »

TUNDRA wrote:The 8 Pin Connector Sounds like the It could be the Same configuration of the *Pin connector found in th SA/Webstar/Netgear Modems. Have you tryed that?
No, I had not; thanks for the heads-up. I'm not going to bother trying it until my USBJTAG NT arrives, though...I really don't feel like futzing around with the crappy homebrew parallel JTAG anymore. :)

-- Nathan
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

NathanA wrote:No, I had not; thanks for the heads-up. I'm not going to bother trying it until my USBJTAG NT arrives, though...I really don't feel like futzing around with the crappy homebrew parallel JTAG anymore. :)

-- Nathan
LOL No Need to Mess with the Parallel JTAG. I make an Adapter that Plugs into the USBJTAG NT, Blackcat, P JTAG. Works with All of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."