How To Jtag Motorola SB6121 Modem With USBJTAGNT

SB6XXX,SBV6XXX

Moderators: justsomeguy, Koevoet

PRPirate

Post by PRPirate »

CAPONE wrote:There is No need to use external Power on the SB6121 or Sb6141 for that matter.

Here is a Picture of the Location of the SB6121 ISP Point.

happy Testing!!!

http://imgur.com/a/DHGMA
I opened my SB6121 to check out the ISP point. Boy, that's a small space to work in.
Questions:
Should I not be touching the two resistors?
Why between the two resistors and not go right on pin 2 of the U7?
Also where does the 100 ohm resistor come in to play here?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

PRPirate wrote:I opened my SB6121 to check out the ISP point. Boy, that's a small space to work in.
Questions:
Should I not be touching the two resistors?
Why between the two resistors and not go right on pin 2 of the U7?
Also where does the 100 ohm resistor come in to play here?
The Two resistors are connected by a trace. You can see it with magnifying glasses. LOL

Therefore, no problem to jump them. It is more difficult IMHO to solder to pin Two. Maybe Just me going Blind at my Old Age. LOL
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
PRPirate

Post by PRPirate »

CAPONE wrote:The Two resistors are connected by a trace. You can see it with magnifying glasses. LOL

Therefore, no problem to jump them. It is more difficult IMHO to solder to pin Two. Maybe Just me going Blind at my Old Age. LOL
O.k. got it. Thanks.

I'm gonna have to use one of these. Lol

CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

PRPirate wrote:O.k. got it. Thanks.

I'm gonna have to use one of these. Lol

That's what I use. LOL
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
PRPirate

Post by PRPirate »

I messed up a SB6141 trying to solder onto the ISP. I would say this is for the really skilled solderer. Had to buy another one. Trying to follow this method in the first post but only getting ff,ff,ff when trying to ID it. I've done a SB6121 with this post and it works fine. Besides 5v, I'm also trying 3.3v from a USB TTL and also from an old PC to pin 2 and same problem. Triple checked the soldering. :(
geant90

Post by geant90 »

Do not brick1 This is still the correct wiring and method. Just try with different voltages 3.3 or 5.0 2a or 1a I just got mine to detect on 3.3v I followed my instructions but after I failed to detect I quickly unplugged usb that supports 3.3v then reapplied and detected! Do not solder! Not needed! Just trial and error!
geant90

Post by geant90 »

FIGURED IT OUT THANKS TO MY COENGINEER IN CRIME!

Wire up as directed and ensure USB power is 2Amps as that is what we used.

THIS IS WHERE IT IS DIFFERENT! SOMETHING CHANGED WITH THE LATEST ARRIS 6141 MODEMS BUT WE FIGURED IT OUT.

1)Connect only the jtag cable and jusbjtagnt usb cable to computer and ensure it is in Activated state.
2)Plug in the Modems power adapter for 5 seconds and remove
3)Quickly plug in 5V from a USB source
4)Detect
5)Success
PRPirate

Post by PRPirate »

PRPirate wrote:I messed up a SB6141 trying to solder onto the ISP. I would say this is for the really skilled solderer. Had to buy another one. Trying to follow this method in the first post but only getting ff,ff,ff when trying to ID it. I've done a SB6121 with this post and it works fine. Besides 5v, I'm also trying 3.3v from a USB TTL and also from an old PC to pin 2 and same problem. Triple checked the soldering. :(
I found the problem. It was the custom ribbon connector. Soldering was fine. After changing connector I'm good now. Using 3.3V from ttl USB.