6120 noob troubles

Newbies post here.
jimmy5150

6120 noob troubles

Post by jimmy5150 »

So I purchased a test clip and jtagnt for use on my 6120. I followed the diagram on the left side of this forum for the flash and ISP point. However there has been no progress. I run the jtagnt .68 program and when I plug the jtagnt usb in the PC the jtagnt program reads activated on the top. I then proceed to plug the modems power in to the modem, then I apply the test clip pin on the ISP pin on back of the 6120 board and I can hear something happening, the led lights flash on and off but when I hit id chip on the program I get nothing. 000000 unknown flash. After a few tries, I then attempted to pull the cables out of the test clip and solder them to the flash, I followed the diagram and nothing still. Perhaps it's simply the amateur soldering attempt. If anyone is interested in any tips on troubleshooting I can provide more detailed info.

Thanks
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

jimmy5150 wrote:So I purchased a test clip and jtagnt for use on my 6120. I followed the diagram on the left side of this forum for the flash and ISP point. However there has been no progress. I run the jtagnt .68 program and when I plug the jtagnt usb in the PC the jtagnt program reads activated on the top. I then proceed to plug the modems power in to the modem, then I apply the test clip pin on the ISP pin on back of the 6120 board and I can hear something happening, the led lights flash on and off but when I hit id chip on the program I get nothing. 000000 unknown flash. After a few tries, I then attempted to pull the cables out of the test clip and solder them to the flash, I followed the diagram and nothing still. Perhaps it's simply the amateur soldering attempt. If anyone is interested in any tips on troubleshooting I can provide more detailed info.

Thanks
If you follow the diagram and with USB JTAG NT connected. The modem will not have flash light LED.
What the connection does is to disable the CPU's access to the SPI flash.
Maybe the order is not right.
1. power off everything and connect USB JTAG NT to USB and the modem.
2. Start software.
3. Power on the modem.
You should not see LED flashing. If you do stop here and check connection.

4. detect flash. If you do not detect flash stop here.
5. backup your original flash.
6. Program the firmware you want.

program a bad flash to sb6120 will not render the modem brick. You can always program back if you have the backup.
jimmy5150

Post by jimmy5150 »

Yea the modem lights dim and flash really fast still. Maybe I should re-attempt the soldering. Pic of current attempt using ribbon that came with test clip.
racerx007

soldering needs help

Post by racerx007 »

i suggest that you strip about a half inch then twist the stripped wire to tighten it up then tin the wire with solder then trim it to about a 1/8" with snips or my favorite nail clippers then tin the pins on the chip that you are going to solder to. the quality of your soldering is suspect here.you can see a stray strand on pin 16.good luck also you should invest in some desolder braid such as chemtronics 2-5L you can get this at digikey electronics .another point worth mentioning is that the 30 watt pencil iron has a large tip for this size of working I took my tip and turned it down with a drill and file then put a finer point onto it as to make my soldering job easier to do.hope that helps you.
jimmy5150

Post by jimmy5150 »

So I replaced the ribbon that came with the jtagnt and the connection was made finally. It appears the ribbon was the issue.Thanks for help.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jimmy5150 wrote:So I replaced the ribbon that came with the jtagnt and the connection was made finally. It appears the ribbon was the issue.Thanks for help.
You can also use some practice at soldering as well.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
zer0900

Post by zer0900 »

lol, always pleasant
Bugman1400

Post by Bugman1400 »

usbbdm wrote:If you follow the diagram and with USB JTAG NT connected. The modem will not have flash light LED.
What the connection does is to disable the CPU's access to the SPI flash.
Maybe the order is not right.
1. power off everything and connect USB JTAG NT to USB and the modem.
2. Start software.
3. Power on the modem.
You should not see LED flashing. If you do stop here and check connection.

4. detect flash. If you do not detect flash stop here.
5. backup your original flash.
6. Program the firmware you want.

program a bad flash to sb6120 will not render the modem brick. You can always program back if you have the backup.
Is it necessary to power up the modem? The USBJTAG NT software seems to detect and be able to read and write to the SPI chip without power to the modem. However, I have two SB6121 modems that do not operate correctly. The POWER LED comes on but, the modems just sit there. It seems like I can read and write to the SPI. What gives?
ricktendo

Post by ricktendo »

Buy yourself some cheap grabbers, these wont damage your board

Bugman1400

Post by Bugman1400 »

I'll have to pass on the grabbers. They are a headache.

As for applying power to the CM, I initially did not have a good ground from my external 3.3V source to the test clip. When I fixed it, the USBJTAGNT software then began acting funny. With the bad ground, it would detect the SPI without powering the CM. After I fixed the ground, it would not. Then I powered the CM and no luck. Then, I unpowered the CM and now it detects the SPI again. This process is repeatable. Go figure.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

ricktendo wrote:Buy yourself some cheap grabbers, these wont damage your board

If you know how to solder, there should be no damage to the board. ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."