Dct2244/1661 ph7 hard bricked?

Newbie post here.
NEC

Dct2244/1661 ph7 hard bricked?

Post by NEC »

I was having so much fun with my 1st test box I thought I would try my spare. I backed up the box and then plugged it onto cc to see what channels I had. Everything worked fine at this point. It was in the stream for a few minutes till I started testing with BDMNT ver52. I didn't unhook the CATV at this time. I think I managed to accidentally cycle the power during a firmware update as it was outdated. Now my box is locked up, no lights at all. Software says BDM OFF in lower rh corner. I can read nvram and code but cannot detect flash. I have read the other posts about this exact problem but have not seen anyone post if successful in fixing the problem. I have confirmed BDMNT still works fine on my 1st test box so it's not a hardware /software issue.. I have also gone over the debrick procedure and get hung up with the message "detect flash type first". I know that the best way to learn is by bricking/debricking... Is it even possible to recover this box?

Guess It's time to put another ad on the local CL for some more test boxes..

Update: I now have two bricked boxes w/no lights. I tried plugging into the good one to detect flash and then swapping the cable to the bricked unit. It didn't work. Somewhere in the process I ended up bricking the good one. Guess I won't try that again.. Look how much I've learned about what not to do already! It's fun but leaning how to bring back these doorstops would be nice. I'm off to pick up another test box...
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

NEC wrote:I was having so much fun with my 1st test box I thought I would try my spare. I backed up the box and then plugged it onto cc to see what channels I had. Everything worked fine at this point. It was in the stream for a few minutes till I started testing with BDMNT ver52. I didn't unhook the CATV at this time. I think I managed to accidentally cycle the power during a firmware update as it was outdated. Now my box is locked up, no lights at all. Software says BDM OFF in lower rh corner. I can read nvram and code but cannot detect flash. I have read the other posts about this exact problem but have not seen anyone post if successful in fixing the problem. I have confirmed BDMNT still works fine on my 1st test box so it's not a hardware /software issue.. I have also gone over the debrick procedure and get hung up with the message "detect flash type first". I know that the best way to learn is by bricking/debricking... Is it even possible to recover this box?

Guess It's time to put another ad on the local CL for some more test boxes..

Update: I now have two bricked boxes w/no lights. I tried plugging into the good one to detect flash and then swapping the cable to the bricked unit. It didn't work. Somewhere in the process I ended up bricking the good one. Guess I won't try that again.. Look how much I've learned about what not to do already! It's fun but leaning how to bring back these doorstops would be nice. I'm off to pick up another test box...
yes they can BOTH be recovered buddy...do some searching in the corner is debug on ? (hint...there are TONS of posts on it). once you find that you should have no problem getting the boxs back to life (if you were smart enough to make a FEW backups before you started testing to ensure at least one of them were good)....

but before we totaly tell you how to correct this do some more reading and you'll find enough info to get you back on track...here's another hint....go back in the threads into last year and you'll find what your looking for;)

also check to make sure you have valid RPC values when you detect...
you also might want to search the j200 method ;)
live your life like a beer commericial
NEC

Post by NEC »

No in the corner debug bdm is off.

I already searched for j200 as I read about it before but couldn't find the orig post. If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative. I have been into threads re BDMNT last year and beyond. I did find one describing my exact problem but no resolution. http://www.usbjtag.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=5785 It was dated Feb 2010. Thanks for the help. I will keep on testing
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Tyrp reset 1 and you should see BDM ON. If not check the connection. The bad programming will not put the box in brick state. Debrick the DCT2224 is very easy.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

NEC wrote:No in the corner debug bdm is off.

I already searched for j200 as I read about it before but couldn't find the orig post. If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative. I have been into threads re BDMNT last year and beyond. I did find one describing my exact problem but no resolution. http://www.usbjtag.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=5785 It was dated Feb 2010. Thanks for the help. I will keep on testing
like usbbdm said CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS....that is more likely the cause of your problems....here is a link to the original j200 method..but you prob need to get your bdm to say ON !!!! once you get that on it'll be SIMPLE to get it back to life ;) do you get good RPC values?

viewtopic.php?t=4270&highlight=detect+flash+type
NEC

Post by NEC »

No in the corner debug bdm is off.

NEC

Post by NEC »

reset 1 = bdm still off. I know I have pin 1 in the right spot and I doubt it is a problem with the BDM hardware. I will verify it still working when I get the screws out of this new test box.

rpc no good: FFFF0000
NEC

Post by NEC »

Thanks justsomeguy. I gotta ask another dumb question. I started reading the thread about j200 method and see it is for the 2500 series. It appears it won't work on my dct. I do have a jumper inside I may try it.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

NEC wrote:Thanks justsomeguy. I gotta ask another dumb question. I started reading the thread about j200 method and see it is for the 2500 series. It appears it won't work on my dct. I do have a jumper inside I may try it.
J200 Jumper Only Applies to DCT2500.....
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
NEC

Post by NEC »

Thanks Tundra. I just picked up another box and got it dialed in using my saved backups. I can confirm my BDMNT hardware is still functional. I can't get the unit to detect on the dead DCTs and it still says bdm off. I will set them aside for future testing, maybe a Walmart swap..
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

NEC wrote:reset 1 = bdm still off. I know I have pin 1 in the right spot and I doubt it is a problem with the BDM hardware. I will verify it still working when I get the screws out of this new test box.

rpc no good: FFFF0000
NEC wrote:Thanks Tundra. I just picked up another box and got it dialed in using my saved backups. I can confirm my BDMNT hardware is still functional. I can't get the unit to detect on the dead DCTs and it still says bdm off. I will set them aside for future testing, maybe a Walmart swap..

I See RCP is no good. If you Follow DeBrick Steps you can Set the Registers and then it Should Detect....
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
NEC

Post by NEC »

I think I tried to set registers and got the "detect first" error. I will try again and post more detailed results tomorrow.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

NEC wrote:I think I tried to set registers and got the "detect first" error. I will try again and post more detailed results tomorrow.
OK Sounds like you may be doing the Steps Wrong. I can help you Via TeamView If you Like.
cherrymachine

detect first

Post by cherrymachine »

when it says detect first, type "flshdct code". then have a code.bin file loaded. then type "program code" then load your nvram file and type "setram nvram"
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

NEC wrote:I think I tried to set registers and got the "detect first" error. I will try again and post more detailed results tomorrow.
right on buddy...don't give up on this..you'll get it eventually...the main this is right to really make sure you have a good connection but if you tried that new box and it worked then you prob know what your doing for that part of it at least. try what cherrymachine posted and see what happens. then try to reset the rpc values again if that doesn't work;) try thinking outside the box and trying to do things in different order and differnet combo's and see if anything works for you...think about it this way....you can't screw it up any more then what it already is...so play around a bit....:D