Reactivating a 2224

Newbie post here.
leoboy254

noob questions

Post by leoboy254 »

I recently moved into an apartment and the people from before left 4 cable boxes: 1 2224/1661 (ph9), 2 2224/1662(ph8), and 1 2524/1612. There was also a sb5120, but I don't care about it since I have my own modded sb5101 that I'm using at the moment. They haven't come by or contacted me about the boxes so I'm assuming they forgot about them haha.

Anyways, onto my questions:

Which box is better, 2224 or 2524? If I'm buying a $60 tool, then I get more with the 2224 since I have 3 of them. Am I able to do more with a USB JTAG + 2524?

With a USB BDM or a USB JTAG, can I just use it to reactivate the boxes or do I have to do cloning with a currently working box?
leoboy254

Post by leoboy254 »

some help please?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

The usbjtagnt supports more devices than the usbbdmnt. You will need the bdm for the 2224 boxes and the usbjtagnt for the 2524. Both are great tools for testing and programming. You can see the complete list of supported devices under the usbjtagnt menu on the left hand side of the screen in the forum.

At this time you cannot re-activate channels which have been de-authed in the xc chip. Any channels still active in the xc chip can be viewed by activating the box in the nvram and faking the uid. Unfortunately the block firmware update for the dct2000 series does not work at this time and if the cc updates the firmware you could lose your xc chip.
leoboy254

Post by leoboy254 »

so at this time it is safer to mess with the dct2524?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

leoboy254 wrote:so at this time it is safer to mess with the dct2524?
A Better Choice for many other reasons. ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
leoboy254

Post by leoboy254 »

could you describe these many other reasons? :)
NEC

Post by NEC »

Hello, I am resurrecting this thread as I have a similar problem as the OP. I am new to the forum but have been testing since the days of plastic. I have recently acquired a pair of local dct2224/ph7s and have access to a localy subbed dct2224 for testing purpose. It seems this is the common platform for my area. I am faced with the problem of buying the usbjtagnt or bdmnt hardware. (I would prefer the jtagnt as it covers a wider range of platforms) I understand it won't work on my current platform but I could always trade these off for a fleabay version of dct700/2500. My main question is does the jtagnt software in the 2500 offer any more functionality or advanced options than the bdm software in the 2000? If so, what are they?
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

NEC wrote:Hello, I am resurrecting this thread as I have a similar problem as the OP. I am new to the forum but have been testing since the days of plastic. I have recently acquired a pair of local dct2224/ph7s and have access to a localy subbed dct2224 for testing purpose. It seems this is the common platform for my area. I am faced with the problem of buying the usbjtagnt or bdmnt hardware. (I would prefer the jtagnt as it covers a wider range of platforms) I understand it won't work on my current platform but I could always trade these off for a fleabay version of dct700/2500. My main question is does the jtagnt software in the 2500 offer any more functionality or advanced options than the bdm software in the 2000? If so, what are they?
for starters please let old threads DIE...when you have questions like this it's best to start you own thread please :D

secondly....the software is the same, it just allows you to switch between the different jtags to program the different boxs. you are right when you say it allows you to program a wider variety of devices....IMHO it's best to have BOTH jtags ! :D
live your life like a beer commericial