dct2000 - power supply crapped...

Box hardware. Watchdog. Models.
jason_m

dct2000 - power supply crapped...

Post by jason_m »

Once day just removing the power and plugging back in killed my box. No lights, no heat output from the chips, Bdm reads all 0's, nothing.

I checked out the power supply. No volt out of it. Checked the obvious: no blown fuses out burnt stuff. So I put 5v and 3.3v to the header and the box boots up. I can then get the Bdm to copy the code+nvram.

I guess that's the expected lifespan for power supplies, a little over 10 years more or less of being constantly powered up. (ie. the box is dated '02)

Realistically, this box isn't watched much anymore, now that I have a Dta; the Dta satisfies my needs for the time being. I'm still interested in this as a hobby or sorts. I looked into the power supply, and it isn't common, probably a custom jobber. Should I decide to refurb the power supply in the future, say to hook to another tv or something, rather than you know buy another one, would anybody recommend power supply refub'ers? I actually don't mind putting a little $$$ into old electronics as long as I'm really interested in the stuff as a hobby or something and keeping it going. In the meantime, I'll just park the box back under my tv on top of the ancient dvd player for a nice display piece ;)
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jason_m wrote:Once day just removing the power and plugging back in killed my box. No lights, no heat output from the chips, Bdm reads all 0's, nothing.

I checked out the power supply. No volt out of it. Checked the obvious: no blown fuses out burnt stuff. So I put 5v and 3.3v to the header and the box boots up. I can then get the Bdm to copy the code+nvram.

I guess that's the expected lifespan for power supplies, a little over 10 years more or less of being constantly powered up. (ie. the box is dated '02)

Realistically, this box isn't watched much anymore, now that I have a Dta; the Dta satisfies my needs for the time being. I'm still interested in this as a hobby or sorts. I looked into the power supply, and it isn't common, probably a custom jobber. Should I decide to refurb the power supply in the future, say to hook to another tv or something, rather than you know buy another one, would anybody recommend power supply refub'ers? I actually don't mind putting a little $$$ into old electronics as long as I'm really interested in the stuff as a hobby or something and keeping it going. In the meantime, I'll just park the box back under my tv on top of the ancient dvd player for a nice display piece ;)
Your sure bet is to get a box from fleebay or Flea market of same model as a donor box..........
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
lafraga

Post by lafraga »

jason_m wrote:Once day just removing the power and plugging back in killed my box. No lights, no heat output from the chips, Bdm reads all 0's, nothing.

i have a few of those. shot me a pm if interested
Get rich or die trying