The DCT is dead in the United States

Box hardware. Watchdog. Models.
timbear

The DCT is dead in the United States

Post by timbear »

If you want a DCT series set top from your local cable company, get one now before the July 1, 2007 deadline. After that date, cable companies in the US can no longer lease any new navigation devices with integrated security. (The so-called FCC set top integration ban.)

For the last couple of months, Motorola has been manufacturing the new DCH series of digital set tops that use a CableCard. http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/p ... ductID=522 Cable companies are stocking their warehouses with the new DCH boxes getting ready for the July 1, 2007 deadline. Scientific Atlanta also has a new line of cable card enabled digital boxes.

Motorola will continue to sell the DCT series of set tops to the foreign market.

Eventually the CableCard will be replaced by security software downloaded to your TV or set top.
tester5

Post by tester5 »

that will not come into play anytime soon to expensive....they will use 700 for a long time....and if they start using cards we might find out flaws faster........i already seen the cable card is 2 way you can use vod on a plasma.......
timbear

Post by timbear »

Motorola is no longer shipping the DCT700 or any other DCT series set top to any US MSO, except for those with a FCC wavier. The cable industry attempted to get a waiver to the year 2009. but failed.

Charter Communications and other cable systems have been running promotions lately for their customers to turn in their old DCT2X00 set tops for the DCT700. The cable companies need to get their inventories of the DCT700 out in the field before the July 1, 2007 deadline.

There is a huge base of installed DCT set tops in the United States. US cable systems can use these until they wear out. They can even redeploy used DCTs to new customers. However, no new DCT can be installed July 1, 2007 onward. It is likely that the DCT series set tops will remain in use for a number of years.

You can read more about this issue by doing a search on the phrase "integration ban" in Google.
tester5

Post by tester5 »

i think is bettrer for us ....i dont think the cable cards have a battery inside even thow they use same technogy the keys and uid is stored in the memory flash of some kind what will be able to clone.lol smart of them cant wait to get my hands on one of those boxes to jtag it.
timbear

Post by timbear »

UPDATE

Charter Communications has received a one year wavier to the integration ban because of the MSOs financial problems. See: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6439324.html

Comcast's application for a wavier was denied last January.
timbear

Post by timbear »

adrianbv6 wrote:i think is bettrer for us ....i dont think the cable cards have a battery inside even thow they use same technogy the keys and uid is stored in the memory flash of some kind what will be able to clone.lol smart of them cant wait to get my hands on one of those boxes to jtag it.
I have seen a Motorola CableCard now and then on eBay! 8)