box 2 dead

Box hardware. Watchdog. Models.
Mrrenzo

box 2 dead

Post by Mrrenzo »

This is the second box that is now dead after following steps. I followed the steps from this site and then once I unplug the box and then plug it back up I can't get any power. And then I connect the bdm cable back, get my connnection but now bdm can not turn on nor can I get rid of the FFFFFFFFF. What the hell is going on. :twisted:
usbbdm

Re: box 2 dead

Post by usbbdm »

Mrrenzo wrote:This is the second box that is now dead after following steps. I followed the steps from this site and then once I unplug the box and then plug it back up I can't get any power. And then I connect the bdm cable back, get my connnection but now bdm can not turn on nor can I get rid of the FFFFFFFFF. What the hell is going on. :twisted:
If after "reset 1" and you see "BDM ON" but A7 and RPC have some FFFFFF, then you have blanked the flash by program the flash without load proper firmware.
Here is how to recover,
reset 1
r rpc 468
r a7 200400
init
flshdct code
ldram code (the firmware)
program code

You have to program the entire code.

This only happen to PH7/8/9 board. Since if you have PH6 board and you blank the TSOP flash, your DIP will boot the 5.88 for you. But no TV guide and VOD app since DIP flash is not big enough.
Mrrenzo

Post by Mrrenzo »

That's just it I don't get BDM ON anymore is stays on OFF.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Mrrenzo wrote:That's just it I don't get BDM ON anymore is stays on OFF.
OK. Do you tried BDM on another box?
If you have plugged in/out BDM too many time, the BDM connector might be loose. Try to re-adjust the conector on both side of BDM (flip them).
Unless the CPU is killed, you should get BDM ON after "reset 1" on 0.83 software. On earlier software you might need to try differen numbers like "reset 8", " reset 9" etc.

Another member had similar case after 1.5 year of use BDM on many boxes. And identified as the cable connection problem.
Mrrenzo

Post by Mrrenzo »

yes I have tried on another box. This bdm worked on this box up until I tried to change firmware. Then it stopped. How can you kill the cpu?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Mrrenzo wrote:yes I have tried on another box. This bdm worked on this box up until I tried to change firmware. Then it stopped. How can you kill the cpu?
Good news is that you still have working BDM.

There is no way to use BDM kill CPU. At leas not yet found. If anybody find this I might add this as a feature in the future software. (just kidding). But you can blank the flash. What type of board you are using?

With all FFs does not mean the box is dead. If you remember that old days you might need to type "reset 1" several times. All FFs just mean the CPU is not in BDM mode.

To force CPU go to BDM mode, need a good timing between reset pin and BERR pin. For 0.83, the "reset 1" try many times automatically but there might still some chance failed. So if you have older software (0.72 or earlier), try that one and use "reset 1,2,3,4....). If for some reason that the BDM can not drive the BDM pins any more, then the BDM will not work on this board.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Mrrenzo wrote:yes I have tried on another box. This bdm worked on this box up until I tried to change firmware. Then it stopped. How can you kill the cpu?
Can you post your step?
Mrrenzo

Post by Mrrenzo »

When I couldn't get the box turned on I then used the: How to get the "0" off and boot from tsop steps and that's when i didn't power up.
ph9/ph8
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Mrrenzo wrote:When I couldn't get the box turned on I then used the: How to get the "0" off and boot from tsop steps and that's when i didn't power up.
ph9/ph8
For all the steps for PH7/8/9, you can not even blank the flash. I believe both of your box is still good. Another thing that a beginner can messup is the pin 1 match. The pin 1 for each board is different.

http://www.usbjtag.com/dct2000/ph8.php
http://www.usbjtag.com/dct2000/ph7.php
http://www.usbjtag.com/dct2000/ph6.php
http://www.usbjtag.com/dct2000/cr4.php
http://www.usbjtag.com/dct2000/nonph.php

On each page there is a table and also tells where pin 1 is.

If your box does not power up, you might blanked the flash. If your box has only FFs after reset 1, yuo might flip the BDM connector.

Here is how you might blank the flash, (reset 1, flshdct code, program code). In here there is missing ldram part. If you use ldram 400000 and have one less 0 you might load to the wrong tab. In the newer JTAG software I will add a check for program a flash with empty data. Another command of "erase" might be used to just "erase" the chip.

Program the flash with 0.83 BDM should be at the speed of about 70-90KB/s. If it is 150KB/s, you are most likely blanking the flash.

I have traced down your post.
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2006 11:14 pm
I've installed the 10 pin chip but now I have no power. What did I do wrong?
Mrrenzo

Post by Mrrenzo »

Where do I find the a16 resister to pop the box. I've looked at the information given but can not find it in the box.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Mrrenzo wrote:Where do I find the a16 resister to pop the box. I've looked at the information given but can not find it in the box.
Where does the A16 resistor is mentioned?
Mrrenzo

Post by Mrrenzo »

looking at an old post.
cipher

Post by cipher »

A16 is not a resister, it is an address line which is on the pins of the processor chip. The post you where looking at refers to a method of creating a bus fault which the makes the CPU go into debug mode. The method is to connect a resister buffered +3.4 volt signal to the address bus pins and thus causing a bus fault by forcing an incorrect logic state. Then you can use the BDM interface to access the CPU. I did this on a unit that I accidentally flashed a PH8 with the wrong firmware. It allowed me to recover from a non responsive state e.g. no BDM reset access.