Copying NVRAM

NVRAM related issues.
joe9877000

Copying NVRAM

Post by joe9877000 »

A few weeks ago, CC updated the firmware and NVRAM in my area. But my box wasn't updated and I lost my VOD. A very generous person sent a copy of his updated firmware and NVRAM to me but he lives about 45 min away from me so we live in different areas. I was wondering is there anyway that I can copy ONLY the TV-Guide listing (not other parts) of my old NVRAM (for my area) and copy it on the new NVRAM that is from a differnet area so i can have an updated NVRAM with my own channel listings? and if so, how can I do it? I dont know how to use NVTOOL.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

The nvtool comes with instructions in a .pdf file. It sounds like you want to copy the channel map from your old nvram to his new nvram. The instructions that come with nvtool explain how to do that. It is actually very simple.
joe9877000

Post by joe9877000 »

I have downloaded NVTool but there is no instruction with it. Does anyone know how to do it?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

Run nvtool. Goto the action menu and select configure, choose the correct settings for both nvrams. Click ok then close nvtool and run it again so the settings take effect. Click the open file button. First choose the new nvram that you want to alter, second choose the old nvram with the correct channels. Press the CP button. In the top box enter -1 and in the bottom box leave 0 and press ok. Now save the nvram with a new name and you are all set.
scrotuman

Post by scrotuman »

so I tried every step setup here on this post for my nvram. Nvram good in another area. I changed channel map slaped on new nvram and NADA still black screen on a 2224. Is there a step that I am missing?
scrotuman

Post by scrotuman »

added note. I only copied CHANNEL MAP from new Nvram over to old Nvram. Also I have several of these boxes i have collected from my friends and local thrift stores. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

Is your box in the disconnected in the nvram? Does the box have any menus or the tv guide?
moddog

Post by moddog »

jatucker wrote:Run nvtool. Goto the action menu and select configure, choose the correct settings for both nvrams. Click ok then close nvtool and run it again so the settings take effect. Click the open file button. First choose the new nvram that you want to alter, second choose the old nvram with the correct channels. Press the CP button. In the top box enter -1 and in the bottom box leave 0 and press ok. Now save the nvram with a new name and you are all set.
say i want to move channel 102 to 110 can that be done in the same nvram? (black channel is working)
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

moddog wrote:say i want to move channel 102 to 110 can that be done in the same nvram? (black channel is working)
Yes you can. But the problem is the cable box will automatically correct the change when it sees that the nvram being served from the cable company is different. We need a way to block the channel update.
moddog

Post by moddog »

jatucker wrote:Yes you can. But the problem is the cable box will automatically correct the change when it sees that the nvram being served from the cable company is different. We need a way to block the channel update.
what you mean like fake uid?
moddog

Post by moddog »

jatucker wrote:Yes you can. But the problem is the cable box will automatically correct the change when it sees that the nvram being served from the cable company is different. We need a way to block the channel update.
master will you able to give us the option?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

moddog wrote:[/color] master will you able to give us the option?
We have that option at least in the DCT2224's But If you do block that eventualy you will loose Video on channels and have to let it take the channel update to get them back. Same thing happens with the HD that have the Hardware MOD.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Block channel update has no value at all. Only benift is you can re-arrange the channel number but I found it useless but troublesome. So stop playing with it any more.
moddog

Post by moddog »

usbbdm wrote:Block channel update has no value at all. Only benift is you can re-arrange the channel number but I found it useless but troublesome. So stop playing with it any more.
The reason i ask is because am thinking out of the box beause cc give us so much free channels and the xchip is blacking the other so if i could black channels update i could put the channel that the xchip is blacking were the free one is just an idea tho!
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

moddog wrote:The reason i ask is because am thinking out of the box beause cc give us so much free channels and the xchip is blacking the other so if i could black channels update i could put the channel that the xchip is blacking were the free one is just an idea tho!
That won't work. All you could do by moving channels around is to group the channels you have together to make surfing easier.