Firmware Updating

Firmware related issues.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

The same thing happened here. They just aren't giving enough info to understand what they need to know. And I think the same thing happened to them but they are using boxes that are not valid in their area and won't accept the update or they are blocking the update without realizing it.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jatucker wrote:The same thing happened here. They just aren't giving enough info to understand what they need to know. And I think the same thing happened to them but they are using boxes that are not valid in their area and won't accept the update or they are blocking the update without realizing it.
All of these can be a Posible senarios. I hope that with the info Posted so far they can better understand what to do to overcome there situation.

Thanks for your Input and the information shared on your Part. Its greatly appreciated. ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
cherrymachine

all good

Post by cherrymachine »

Lol not looking for help. we're all good here. just passing info that when 700 upgraded to 3.78 or whatever it took a shit, but was repairable with the prior version plat and nvram. XC chip wasnt desubbed. Didnt want him trashing the 700 without trying loading with older plat.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

cherrymachine wrote:Lol not looking for help. we're all good here. just passing info that when 700 upgraded to 3.78 or whatever it took a shit, but was repairable with the prior version plat and nvram. XC chip wasnt desubbed. Didnt want him trashing the 700 without trying loading with older plat.
It won't trash the dct700. if he sticks to old firmware the box will eventualy lose channels , By letting it take the update and then locking down box He will avoid this. the box will not get desubbed during the update of firmware.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
mr.sky

Post by mr.sky »

TUNDRA wrote:It won't trash the dct700. if he sticks to old firmware the box will eventualy lose channels , By letting it take the update and then locking down box He will avoid this. the box will not get desubbed during the update of firmware.
Tundra, you just answered a question I was thinking about. About desub during
firmware update, good to know that.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

mr.sky wrote:Tundra, you just answered a question I was thinking about. About desub during
firmware update, good to know that.
Glad it helped you out Buddy.
slasher

nvtool 3878-3897

Post by slasher »

When copying info from one nvram to another in nvtool for instance on dct700 for the address range on 3878-3897 what lines do i copy? in nvtool it shows the lines as 98003870, 98003880, and 98003890 are these the correct lines to copy from box that is updating to get another dct700 box to update. I'm not sure how to decode what the actual addresses are. Please explain how this works.:confused:

Thank you for any help you can give.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

slasher wrote:When copying info from one nvram to another in nvtool for instance on dct700 for the address range on 3878-3897 what lines do i copy? in nvtool it shows the lines as 98003870, 98003880, and 98003890 are these the correct lines to copy from box that is updating to get another dct700 box to update. I'm not sure how to decode what the actual addresses are. Please explain how this works.:confused:

Thank you for any help you can give.
There is a file like table. Copy exact address might not work for some area. Copy entire memory should work.
When copy the channels for example, it needs to calculated to the target address.
Each node needs to be copied had two keys and if they match from the source to the target then they can be copied. The address will be calculated then.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

If you re-read the whole thread you will find were I explain how to find the bytes I am refering to. Each byte has a number and the line numbers only refer to the first byte which is 0. Each line has 16 bytes with the last one being F.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jatucker wrote:Whether or not you box is going to download the vod client is based on the nvram. When the firmware was updated I'm sure the vod client was as well. Maybe someone else knows where the info in the nvram is stored to download the vod client. I do not. The above section of the nvram will only get you new firmnware and nvram with tv guide, vod is separate download. Best thing I can suggest is either get a local nvram or get a practice box and start testing. I found the info I posted from my own testing. Be prepared to spend some time finding it.
VOD's are Not tied to the NVRAM in any Way.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

CAPONE wrote:VOD's are Not tied to the NVRAM in any Way.
are you sure you not drinking again? lol you just replied ta a thread from august 2010

live your life like a beer commericial
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

justsomeguy wrote:are you sure you not drinking again? lol you just replied ta a thread from august 2010
Yes I Know. The comment is a Positive contribution to the thread So that the Members that read it don't think the NVRAM Has anything to do with the VOD's and therefore Not considered Bumping the thread. ;)
SO WHO'S DRINKING NOW???????????? :D
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

CAPONE wrote:Yes I Know. The comment is a Positive contribution to the thread So that the Members that read it don't think the NVRAM Has anything to do with the VOD's and therefore Not considered Bumping the thread. ;)
SO WHO'S DRINKING NOW???????????? :D
well we both know i am!! (goes great with the pain killers the doc gave me) but i still think YOU ARE as well! lol..either that or bored as hell going back this far. and if it is the later then i think you should have a drink anyways! lmao....i know ya aint that bored with the projects you have going on ;) and again if ya are then maybe send me a big long email instead!!! hahahaha ;):D:cool:
live your life like a beer commericial
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

justsomeguy wrote:well we both know i am!! (goes great with the pain killers the doc gave me) but i still think YOU ARE as well! lol..either that or bored as hell going back this far. and if it is the later then i think you should have a drink anyways! lmao....i know ya aint that bored with the projects you have going on ;) and again if ya are then maybe send me a big long email instead!!! hahahaha ;):D:cool:
Lots of people looking at these Old Threads So I wanted to Clarify this for them. Maybe I should have left them thinking it was in the NVRAM and Then Sit back with a big :D watching them go crazy with the NVRAM trying to get VOD's to Work.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

Take the nvram from a box with no vod and copy it to one with vod and watch the vod go away. There are sections in the nvram which indicate whether or not the box should download the app.

The topic only had to do with getting the box to update out of area and download apps. The nvram is part of that.

But then again you think you can just edit the firmware with a hex editor and make any changes you want. If I look back you even claim to be able to make a fake uid with a hex editor. Or did you go back and delete that Tundra?