Firmware Updating

Firmware related issues.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

I tried allmost everything from the post. but does not update. I atcually put/used old plat 3.19 for this testing. plat 3.26 works fine without guide so my guess is 3.26 or up is the current. My only question is It is not working for me because full backup with plat 3.19 is previously modified. Is there any way to create virgin image from modified one?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

Try loading the 3.26 plat with all apps 1-4 into the box with the cable line disconnected. Do you have the guide this way? Then go into the diagnostic screen by pressing power wait one second then press select. Look at menu #10 what does it say there? Now connect the cable and watch this screen for any changes. Tell me if there are any changes. After with the cable connected what is on diagnostic screen #02 OOB Diagnostic? Is the box connecting properly? You should have a * by data and by emm data and you should have a "GOOD" by the signal strength.

3.26 is still an old firmware and it might be too old to auto update. You might see on screen #10 that the app modules are trying to update but there are errors. You will need to watch that screen for about 10 minutes after connecting the cable line. If the box is trying to update but you see errors at the bottom then the firmware is probably too old still. I know after 3.26 there is 3.38 and 3.46.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

Finally got time to test. Here what I did.

Loaded plat 3.39(from USBBDM)--Do not know moded OR not.
NVRAM with local ch map loaded.

On diag screen #2
have a * by data and by emm data and have a "GOOD" by the signal strength.
carrier lock - YES and HUNT MODE - NONE.

On #10
At the top of the screen it says ASTB BLDG 101 16 649.
Last line says 00c-2500 03.39 ENABLED 0001

Left it connected for about 30 min. but nothing. Will try different things till get the full backup from someone. OR any other things you want me to try.

Thanks.
joe9877000

Post by joe9877000 »

I have a question. I am not able to find line 37B8 on my NVRAM. Why is that?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

ilavu wrote:Finally got time to test. Here what I did.

Loaded plat 3.39(from USBBDM)--Do not know moded OR not.
NVRAM with local ch map loaded.

On diag screen #2
have a * by data and by emm data and have a "GOOD" by the signal strength.
carrier lock - YES and HUNT MODE - NONE.

On #10
At the top of the screen it says ASTB BLDG 101 16 649.
Last line says 00c-2500 03.39 ENABLED 0001

Left it connected for about 30 min. but nothing. Will try different things till get the full backup from someone. OR any other things you want me to try.

Thanks.
Ok, the diagnostic screen is showing you that the box is trying to update. ASTB BLDG means it's building the firmware. You should have either seen a line pop up indicating the new firmware downloading or an error at the bottom. The box should post an error about once a minute at the bottom of screen #10 leave it on that screen and see if the error pops up. If the firmware starts to download a line will appear below the ASTB BLDG and start with VC. At the end of that line will be a number counting down. When the number reaches 0 the box will reboot. Now what you might be missing is the correct info for the range in the nvram listed at the beginning of the post. That section of the nvram has to be correct for your area. By that I mean it needs to come from either a subbed local box or from a box that you know for sure will auto-update. But you are getting closer.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

joe9877000 wrote:I have a question. I am not able to find line 37B8 on my NVRAM. Why is that?
On the dct2224 in usbjtagnt the line will be 002037B0 the eight will be the eighth byte counting from left to right starting with zero. In the nvtool it will be 000037B0 and again the eighth byte is the first byte. You can use nvtool and load your nvram then press the down arrow key on the tool bar and when you get to the right section it will highlight the whole range.
joe9877000

Post by joe9877000 »

jatucker wrote:Ok, the diagnostic screen is showing you that the box is trying to update. ASTB BLDG means it's building the firmware. You should have either seen a line pop up indicating the new firmware downloading or an error at the bottom. The box should post an error about once a minute at the bottom of screen #10 leave it on that screen and see if the error pops up. If the firmware starts to download a line will appear below the ASTB BLDG and start with VC. At the end of that line will be a number counting down. When the number reaches 0 the box will reboot. Now what you might be missing is the correct info for the range in the nvram listed at the beginning of the post. That section of the nvram has to be correct for your area. By that I mean it needs to come from either a subbed local box or from a box that you know for sure will auto-update. But you are getting closer.
Is this also true for DCT2224, because i need to force my box to update?
Thanks for the help.
joe9877000

Post by joe9877000 »

Ok, I have followed all the steps and on diagnostic #10, ASTB BLDG shows up and also an error shows up once a minute but there is no VC showing. What should I do?
Thanks
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

jatucker wrote:Ok, the diagnostic screen is showing you that the box is trying to update. ASTB BLDG means it's building the firmware. You should have either seen a line pop up indicating the new firmware downloading or an error at the bottom. The box should post an error about once a minute at the bottom of screen #10 leave it on that screen and see if the error pops up. If the firmware starts to download a line will appear below the ASTB BLDG and start with VC. At the end of that line will be a number counting down. When the number reaches 0 the box will reboot. Now what you might be missing is the correct info for the range in the nvram listed at the beginning of the post. That section of the nvram has to be correct for your area. By that I mean it needs to come from either a subbed local box or from a box that you know for sure will auto-update. But you are getting closer.
Got home from work and checked diag #10 screen, Now first line reads ASTB INVD and on #2 everything is same as before.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

joe9877000 wrote:Ok, I have followed all the steps and on diagnostic #10, ASTB BLDG shows up and also an error shows up once a minute but there is no VC showing. What should I do?
Thanks
The error indicates a problem, could be the wrong emmid frequency. Could be the wrong data in the nvram. Check under screen #2 and see if the box is connected with good signal strength.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

ilavu wrote:Got home from work and checked diag #10 screen, Now first line reads ASTB INVD and on #2 everything is same as before.
Your box is not communicating properly with the cc. Something in the nvram is not right. You need to copy the correct data from a good nvram. It's not the channel map that matters for this. What matters is the data range listed at the top of the post. If you look back at you post after the ASTB BLDG you had the number 649 at the end of that line. This number started as 720 when you last cycled power to the box. That number counted down to 0 because it did not properly communicate with the cc. When it hit 0 the box stopped trying to download the update and determined that it is invalid.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

jatucker wrote:Your box is not communicating properly with the cc. Something in the nvram is not right.
Any way to create virgin image of the plat? Because, Mine is previously modified so may be blocking the firmware update?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

What version? I will post it for download from megashare if I have it.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

jatucker wrote:What version? I will post it for download from megashare if I have it.
Whatever virsion that u think will do the update. I have 3.25, 3.26, 3.39 but all moded.. plat and nvram.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

ilavu wrote:Any way to create virgin image of the plat? Because, Mine is previously modified so may be blocking the firmware update?
You can do this buy simply Getting a Backup of another box with same board rev. Make a backup and write to problem Box. No need to go thru so much Trouble.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."