Firmware Updating

Firmware related issues.
egotipp

no video or sound after update

Post by egotipp »

just quik question i have cr-4 board wen it updated to firm 8.16 it stop getting picture and sound any suggestions anyone?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

egotipp wrote:just quik question i have cr-4 board wen it updated to firm 8.16 it stop getting picture and sound any suggestions anyone?
You left it connected to long after Update so you got de-subbed. No Fix.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
slasher

Unable to get updates

Post by slasher »

tried everything in this post and unable to get updates. last week i could get all my boxes to update using virgin plat 3.38. Now when I write files to my DCT700
channels all work but no menu. Maybe i need plat 3.46. Please help. I am in the Chicago NW burbs.:confused:
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

When the box starts to update the first thing it does is delete the tv guide and menus before updating to the new firmware. The missing menu is a sign that the box is trying to update.
slasher

Post by slasher »

ok so what do you suggest? do you have plat 3.46.
cherrymachine

desubbed

Post by cherrymachine »

I had 3 700 that upgraded last week and shut them down. the light would blink on and off.

i loaded the old plat and the old nvram and got them back up. the third one i got back up

i let update overnight and again it went back down. So try reloading the old version and

nvram before you toss the thing. And then set it up so it wont upgrade.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

I think you are missing what this thread is about. The point of this thread is that if you have a box that will auto-update from one firmware to the next, for example you have 3.38 installed on the box and the cc updates to 3.46 then the box will download it automatically. I order for this information to be useful you must have at least one box that will do this, this box will have the needed info to make the other boxes update the firmware. Now if you don't have this then I cannot help you, if you have any dct2000 series, dct700 or dct2500 which works this way then the data from the nvram can be used to fix any of the others. Example we can take the data from the dct700 nvram and make a dct2224 update.

The first thing you should do is check what is happening in the diagnostic screen under #10 App Modules. This will show you if the box is trying to update and if there are errors. Sometimes the box may take a while to update. I also wonder are you sure the firmware you loaded is virgin? If it was saved with the block update option then it won't download the new firmware. Check the diagnostic screen like I said and watch it for five minutes and see what happens. If the box is downloading new firmware you will see the second line from the top start with VC. If the box is not comunicating properly you will see the top line all the way on the right a number counting down to zero, it starts at 720 when you cycle power and counts down to 0 before determining that the box is invalid.

I do have plat 3.46 but you will also need a local nvram that matches. I can send you the plat if you pm me your email address.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

cherrymachine wrote:I had 3 700 that upgraded last week and shut them down. the light would blink on and off.

i loaded the old plat and the old nvram and got them back up. the third one i got back up

i let update overnight and again it went back down. So try reloading the old version and

It sounds like they updated the firmware. When this happens here the boxes which I allow to update always crash the first time. I reload the last working firmware and nvram and then they update automatically.
slasher

Post by slasher »

Yes, i am using virgin plat 3.38 from the file download on this site. what gets me is that all the files i am using now worked last week and took the updates within 10 minutes. Is it possible that comcast did something in the data stream?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

What do you mean when you say "took the update"? What update are you referring to?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

slasher wrote:tried everything in this post and unable to get updates. last week i could get all my boxes to update using virgin plat 3.38. Now when I write files to my DCT700
channels all work but no menu. Maybe i need plat 3.46. Please help. I am in the Chicago NW burbs.:confused:
Guide will return once it takes update. If needed. You must not block the upgrade firm to take update.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

cherrymachine wrote:I had 3 700 that upgraded last week and shut them down. the light would blink on and off.

i let update overnight and again it went back down
. So try reloading the old version and

Goes back down becouse your blocking the update. Dont block the update and let the dct700 take the update. after you get back you guide the box has taken the update , Then disconnect block and change the UID.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jatucker wrote:What do you mean when you say "took the update"? What update are you referring to?
Firm Update.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

I think he means the the tv guide updates not the firmware. If the box wants to update but fails for one reason or another then the guide will not just come back. It will stay stuck trying to download but fail everytime. Both of these guys seem to be stuck with a box that wants new firmware from the headend but won't finish the download.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jatucker wrote:I think he means the the tv guide updates not the firmware. If the box wants to update but fails for one reason or another then the guide will not just come back. It will stay stuck trying to download but fail everytime. Both of these guys seem to be stuck with a box that wants new firmware from the headend but won't finish the download.
For some of whats posted It seams they De'Brick the modem with there old back up and re lock the firm Update. This will cause the box to brick again when trying to take the firm update. Been there , here recently there was a firm update from headend as you say. I just reloaded the last back up I hade but didn't change UID or Blocked the box from taking update. within 10 min it took update and about 5 to 10 min after it took the guide at which point I disconnected box made new back up then changed UID and Blocked Firmware updates and all good.