box finally died after 3 years

Include DCT cable boxes and Starchoice boxes.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Tool - America's most Progressive Industrial Rock Group. More progressive than The Beatles were in 1964. HQ'ed in Los Angeles CA . If the peeps here are looking for answers, you best go into the Archives and start doing some Research. I'll give ya 2-1 odds on serious money if you can get somebody here to give you the name of a miracle piece of Hardware along with its miracle Software that will put you where you need to be. I've been working on this angle for a little more than 18 months and you'll have to be on a very good day to get somebody to come forward with answers that exist only in the Third Dimension. You'll have to go thru the StarGate and become extraterrestrial.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

DeanOfTears wrote:Haha.... yeah..... did you even take the right precautions to protect yourself?
You may protect yourself against STD but you can't protect your box against a Key change LOL!
You would actually want your box to update the Decryption Keys but it's not going to happen without a subscription. Your old sets of keys are worthless now, whether your box was protected or not. The protection, be it soft or hard, is against de-authorization, it has nothing to do with a Key Change which is happening these days.
DeanOfTears

Post by DeanOfTears »

ant El stated that he lost Premium Channels so if he didn't block properly, of course that would happen! but yes if it was the dreaded Key Roll then... well that is something I've yet to see a solution to.

Regardless, this is a good example of why we need info like OOB or snr levels or anything at all so we can actually discuss what happened.
Wolfgang

Looking for the Holy Grail?

Post by Wolfgang »

ilavu wrote:Can you PM me the name of that other tool please?
The tool is very simple, it is called a RS232 to TTL level converter. Some newer boxes (DCX....) don't even need that converter since it is already built in. So all you need is a serial cable (3.5mm 4 rings jack with DB9), some software and a lot of knowledge. All STB models have such a serial connection. Anyway one can make the tool for a few bucks. The problem is the knowledge how to use that hardware tool and some proprietary software. Via the serial connection one can write to the XC chip DIRECTLY but of course this was never published and will never be. Don't trust members that say everything is already said in the forum, don't waste your time looking for the HOLY GRAIL in here. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the Holy Grail either so don't PM me about this, you message will be ignored.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Bravo! I applaud you, Sir! The voice of a real Pro ! Doesn't come on here and foam at the mouth, usually brings Schematics of units that can't be found anywhere in the Real World. Probably the brightest star that has crossed the Horizon since our friend CAPONE went in another direction. What the WolfMan doesn't tell ya is that the Software needed to do the magic on STB's is only seen inside Xfinity or Electrical Engineering circles. The only EE that comes to mind quickly is our friendly Administrator, and perhaps Mr. Merkin. In any event, both keep a low profile because they've earned their spots. What to do ? Find fresh blood that's ready to step up and take the lead. Not easily done - contrary to public belief, this really IS Rocket Science.
duffy

Post by duffy »

sure it was know that the serial interface is used to write to the ic.
*I remember a unit that have a reprogrammed uid witch
show that 3 connectors was added (soldered over the pcb without removing the main board). Just speculation, *maybe bdm connector was added to load a custom
firmware and a jumper was added between the 2 others (serial mcu output and acp serial). This could show that jtag is disabled in acp config...

Anyway, whatever you can write to with the knowledge, it must have been identified and read (rev ing.) first (just like other old cam hack) to inject any bootloader things or partial reconfig...

In other way, it would be cool to have a bundle of spi command that are know. Just remember that firmware upgrade remove some command from old firmware maybe to close a hole...

Always cool to learn how thing are working and reading patent...
Good fun in testing to all... anyway, today there is more video content choice on the web...xbmc all the way !
DeanOfTears

Post by DeanOfTears »

duffy wrote:sure it was know that the serial interface is used to write to the ic.
*I remember a unit that have a reprogrammed uid witch
show that 3 connectors was added (soldered over the pcb without removing the main board). Just speculation, *maybe bdm connector was added to load a custom
firmware and a jumper was added between the 2 others (serial mcu output and acp serial). This could show that jtag is disabled in acp config...

Anyway, whatever you can write to with the knowledge, it must have been identified and read (rev ing.) first (just like other old cam hack) to inject any bootloader things or partial reconfig...

In other way, it would be cool to have a bundle of spi command that are know. Just remember that firmware upgrade remove some command from old firmware maybe to close a hole...

Always cool to learn how thing are working and reading patent...
Good fun in testing to all... anyway, today there is more video content choice on the web...xbmc all the way !
Fire TV + XMBC is king. And the fire TV is surprisingly easy to jailbreak. Which makes me wonder if anyone here has messed with jtagging the Apple TV? Seems like a fun project.
duffy

Post by duffy »

yeah...little of topic....but there are those who just like watching any easy video (already easy to get on the web) and other (I hope, most member here) which don't like to watch tv so much and prefer spending time on any kind of learning and testing anything.

I have a broken apple tv 1, those are great unit once wifi card is replace with broadcom hd, hdd replaced with sdd and running pure linux (open elec). It have more horse power then the apple tv 2. Problem is the heat on those... maybe I should re-heat the processor, not sure if jtag could be of any help in this case (maybe if boot is corrupt ?).

ohhh, not sure if it should be easier to jtag this proprietary processor Vs old "supposed" well know xc fpga ? spartan2 ?
DeanOfTears

Post by DeanOfTears »

The fire doesnt require being busted open to work which is a nice plus for content hunters. All you need to do is to sideload using wifi after allowing 3rd party apks to be installed. Pretty much anybody could do it.

but yeah, Linux is assuredly more stable than the Fire's bastardized android os though and would lend itself to more expansive use of the hardware. I bet you can run game emulation on an apple tv 1 running open elec

When it comes to these devices, I'm also curious about the Chromecast. 30 bucks seems worth the gamble and from what I've read, it seems easy to get what you want on screen without even breaking it.