Dct6208

Include DCT cable boxes and Starchoice boxes.

Moderator: justsomeguy

Dct6208

Post by Image »

I have a friend who has a box that seems to be pretty opened up.
I have a couple of questions.

Is this box capable of being jtagged?
If so do you guys think it is something I can learn to test on?

If not jtaggable, do you think this is an inside job with someone who works for CACO?

I would like to learn to test but need a good starting point...already own both usbjtag and NT just getting some free time to play more...

Thanks fellas!
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

Image wrote:I have a friend who has a box that seems to be pretty opened up.

If not jtaggable, do you think this is an inside job with someone who works for CACO?

I would like to learn to test but need a good starting point...already own both usbjtag and NT just getting some free time to play more...

Thanks fellas!
It's hard to say what is going on with the box...it's not necessarily an "inside job" to get that box going..

but if iwere you i would NOT start with that box...pick yourself up a 2224, 2500 or 700...these boxs are nice to begin testing on and there are plenty to be found if you start looking for a decent price...the best advice anyone will give you is READ....there are tons and tons of threads here to sift your way through...go back even a few years worth of posts and know what you can and cannot do....get yourself a box and try to put what you read into reality...then if/when you get stuck show us that you are trying to learn and you will get all the help in the world! but like i said dont start with that box, start with an easier one that all you have to do is plug in the jtag and program..:cool:

welcome aboard, thanks for taking the time to try to help yourself! not many around here that actually do that...hopefully you wont give up
live your life like a beer commericial

Post by Image »

justsomeguy wrote:It's hard to say what is going on with the box...it's not necessarily an "inside job" to get that box going..

but if iwere you i would NOT start with that box...pick yourself up a 2224, 2500 or 700...these boxs are nice to begin testing on and there are plenty to be found if you start looking for a decent price...the best advice anyone will give you is READ....there are tons and tons of threads here to sift your way through...go back even a few years worth of posts and know what you can and cannot do....get yourself a box and try to put what you read into reality...then if/when you get stuck show us that you are trying to learn and you will get all the help in the world! but like i said dont start with that box, start with an easier one that all you have to do is plug in the jtag and program..:cool:

welcome aboard, thanks for taking the time to try to help yourself! not many around here that actually do that...hopefully you wont give up
justsomeguy I appreciate the answer....Lets just say I have "tinkered" in the past but not on the cable side. I have seen your nick around and appreciate any of the input you have to offer. I have some pretty nice soldering equipment and test tools if need be as well. Just need a few good guys to nudge me in the right direction.
The reason I was wanting to start on this box is because I have access to one. I also have access to a RNG110 but I have read where these can not be cloned or modified unless they were subscribed to a full package and then all that can be done is lock them. Did I read that right, or is there something I didn't read in between on those lines...hahaha?

I suppose ill need the tool to take off the security screws on the back of the box first as I don't think I have anything like that. So I am off to hunt that down in the meantime. Then I suppose ill look for one of the others you mention to play with as well...

Thanks again;)
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Image wrote:I have a friend who has a box that seems to be pretty opened up.

Thanks fellas!
It can not be JTagged with the USBJTAG NT. But it is fully testable. ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

Post by Image »

CAPONE wrote:It can not be JTagged with the USBJTAG NT. But it is fully testable. ;)
Things that make you go hmmmmmm....hahaha inquiring minds wanna know!

Good news, Ill open one up soon and see what pops out at me. I did notice there wasn't any cable card in it so cant be related to that type of thing...well Ill report back once I do some investigation and come up with something to guess about...it is encouraging that these are fully testable though;)

any good reads I can be pointed to? I didnt find much here on this model but if there is a good read on a similar that may help Im all for it....thx for the info so far...much appreciated!
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I have one DCT HD box sitting on my desk and it has the JTAG port. It is not EJTAG MIPS. I got it started before taking the vacation. It might be the same CPU as the DCT6208.
In order to know it it is possible, you need to tell what kind of CPU it uses, some picture might be helpful.
The one I am working on is MIPS core but not EJTAG standard, so a serious programming is needed.

Post by Image »

usbbdm wrote:I have one DCT HD box sitting on my desk and it has the JTAG port. It is not EJTAG MIPS. I got it started before taking the vacation. It might be the same CPU as the DCT6208.
In order to know it it is possible, you need to tell what kind of CPU it uses, some picture might be helpful.
The one I am working on is MIPS core but not EJTAG standard, so a serious programming is needed.
I will take some pictures and get them to you. I appreciate your input and willingness. This particular model is a single tuner HD PVR.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

This is Nwire for MIPS JTAG. I stated it before I am on vacation. So far very little progress on it.

Post by Image »

usbbdm wrote:This is Nwire for MIPS JTAG. I stated it before I am on vacation. So far very little progress on it.
OK anything I can do to help? Other than read?

Post by Image »

So this box finally went down and I would like to experiment with it since it is worthless for now. Has there been any progress on these or can someone help point me in the right direction on this?

Only thing showing is 0 on the front display at this point.

TIA