Hi
guys
tell me can a RNG110 be tested?
I just aquired one and it seems to have a pad resembling that on the
DCT6412
has any body tried this before?
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

there is a lot of threads on this box...there are ALWAYS ways to do anything you want to do...but it takes some time, testing, and a bit of brains to figure it out
live your life like a beer commericial
moddog

Post by moddog »

justsomeguy wrote:there is a lot of threads on this box...there are ALWAYS ways to do anything you want to do...but it takes some time, testing, and a bit of brains to figure it out
Can i have one of your beers, those beer put you rite on point.
Good better best
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

ducklite wrote:Hi
guys
tell me can a RNG110 be tested?
I just aquired one and it seems to have a pad resembling that on the
DCT6412
has any body tried this before?
Yes, If you take the TIME to READ You would know the answers to your Newbie Questions..............
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

With all due respect, most of us know what the inside of the RNG110 looks like. Why did you take pictures of the board exactly, and more specifically a port that cannot be jtagged?

All hardware can be "tested", it is just a matter of figuring it out, what method you choose (or are available), what your options are.. And to what extent you want to "test" the hardware - Basically, what your end goal is to be accomplished by testing it.
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
Skillet50

Couldn't edit my first blundering post....

Post by Skillet50 »

Although PL1500 (couldn't find it in the pictures above) looks like a 14 pin jtag port, it turns out it is not. It is an SPI port for the BCM3252. The Jtag points are to be wired to top side resistors. <-Thats what the paper said
R6530 - R6536
Turns out they are probably on the bottom by the mcard header.
It's late and I have too many boxes open To pull the pcb and check...
But I'll be back up at the Crack of Noon...
Skillet50

Post by Skillet50 »

Bearing my Pace naked to the world I found they are indeed there. The spots for them anyway

R6530 is there to tie TRST low and R 6534 is there as a pullup for TCK

And now for a picture with words......

On the right of the Mcard header past the 2 transistors you will see 5 lovely solder points in vertical formation.

Alright boys take it from the top.....

1 TRST_N R6531
2 TDI R6532
3 TCK R6534
4 TMS R6533
Spot for R6572
5 TDO R6536

R6536 is a 33 ohm & I believe its not needed (jtag chain goes nowhere)
6531-35 are 1K pullups. R6572 is a 4K pullup for TDO
I have been shopping and now waiting for a new cable to solder on and test, I put a molex connector on my old one to jtag and Xscale and don't want to mess that up.

Was wondering why I had 1 page of a schematic for the Jtag some of the more advanced forum guys can put a link in their post. Over in the other closed thread there is an attached file with RNG page 11. You guys just needed the location... cheers
Wolfgang

Been There Done That

Post by Wolfgang »

I have replaced the missing resistors and connected USBJTAG. Here is a picture of my JTAG connection. One of the green wires is the ground and the other goes on the upper side of the board (not visible on the picture)

These are the JTAG points but that doesn't mean much when the manufacturer disables the connection.
I guess this is a wrong thread for such a discussion anyway. There are other threads about RNG110 but then again, I don't see any point of JTAG-ing these boxes.
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

Wolfgang wrote:I have replaced the missing resistors and connected USBJTAG. Here is a picture of my JTAG connection. One of the green wires is the ground and the other goes on the upper side of the board (not visible on the picture)

These are the JTAG points but that doesn't mean much when the manufacturer disables the connection.
I guess this is a wrong thread for such a discussion anyway. There are other threads about RNG110 but then again, I don't see any point of JTAG-ing these boxes.

Because it is pointless unless you figure out a way to enable the JTAG connection. Still a good find though, very nice. On a side note, use flux man - If you are going to solder do it RIGHT! Flux to me is the #1 problem with people today trying to work on electronics, they never seem to know or use flux when it is a necessity!
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

MrRogers wrote:Because it is pointless unless you figure out a way to enable the JTAG connection. Still a good find though, very nice. On a side note, use flux man - If you are going to solder do it RIGHT! Flux to me is the #1 problem with people today trying to work on electronics, they never seem to know or use flux when it is a necessity!
I understand your point and you are right but I do use flux, always. I know this doesn't look very nice but the problem is this is so small and close area that every time i touch the board I collect the resistors back with the soldering iron. LOL. They are so tiny, you can't even see them without magnifying glass. When enlarged this much, the imperfections look real uggly
And, yes, I enabled the JTAG connection (according to the diagram published on the forum earlier) by adding several pull up resistors but that didn't help much. I can get the CPU recognized but not the flash. All connections are OK except one (with it or without it, no change on recognition) TDI or TDO ( I forgot which one was not making any difference).
I think it's time to move on, this doesn't have any future but I just wanted to let Skillet50 that I tried but it was a no go :(
Maybe he's got better luck and will help with something I missed.