E38 Identifying problem

This talks about BDM used on card Engine computer
Ironduke

E38 Identifying problem

Post by Ironduke »

Hi there, I have been screwing around with an E38 on my bench working on a read and write kernel.
In any case I had a failed write attempt but appeared to have bricked the ecu.

I have been using my U-link NT to revive it, read flash and check, etc.. but it's not identifying it anymore.. Maybe I really bricked it. lol

When I click Identify it states unknown flash type and to report some values.. any ideas??
Connections should be good, have not moved the ecu or wiring in days.. power cycling does nothing.

Report these values http://www.usbjtag.com/phpbb3 fe00h,ffffh

Thanks for any input or tips.. much appreciated..
Ironduke

Re: E38 Identifying problem

Post by Ironduke »

Still unsuccessful to bring this E38 back to life.. 3 different computers and 3 different USB cables, same error.
-ldram Flash
-speed 4
-reset 1
Target cpu is a 'MPC561 Rev. D'
IMMR 35300000
Unknown flash type!
Report these values http://www.usbjtag.com/phpbb3 0000h,0001h
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Try to use slower clock to see if you can detect the flash.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Thanks, I did try different speeds all the way down to the slowest speed available with the same results.

I did see today that the values I am to report change, they're not always constant. Thought I might have a connection issue so I did a pretty thorough check of all connections, one lead of the 100 ohm resistor came off as soon as I moved it a little, I redid that and had the same results though. Struck out with the easy idea..

I made another harness and soldered up a 2nd bench E38 and that one identified and worked fine. I can only guess I damaged the flash. I have been working with someone trying to write our own kernel so I've been erasing sections and attempting writes. It does look like I had tried writing somewhere that had not been erased and as I understand it the flash does not like that..

Since I am locked out from erasing or writing to the flash since it cannot identify it, would it be possible to force it to identify it as the CFI S29CD016J and try an erase and write to see if it comes back? Not a big deal, more of a curiosity than needing the ecm to come back to life.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

You can come to main site and chat and talk with me.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Will do, thought this was the main site, lol.. Thanks!!!
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

This is the forum. A lot of spammers made new registration difficult. If you go to www.usbjtag.com any page on left will see a chat pop up. If I am online,we can chat and setup a zoom meeting.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

oh.. ok.. thanks.. I've seen the chat but figured it would be ab AI chatbot of some kind, lol..

I'll try to make some time to get that ecm set back up again and then check and see if your online.. Already deep into work with the second one I hooked up so not a major rush or deal if that one is toast..

Thanks for your offer of help and I will try to get something set up on my end!!!