Viewsat Ultra 2000

JTAG on Dish Receivers.
albysure

Viewsat Ultra 2000

Post by albysure »

I’m trying to figure out the wiring of JTAG on Viewsat 2000 Ultra. I see on the main page of this site the wiring for the Xtreme but it is difficult to see the solder points on the board. The pictures for the Viewsat 2000 are obscured with what appears to be hot glue. The Ultra has the SST39VF3201 as opposed to the Xtreme which has the SST39VF1601. I have attached a copy of the board I’m working on which looks identical to the one shown for the Xtreme. My questions are: would the wiring be the same as the Xtreme and what are the pin locations on the board? You can see in my picture what I marked as my guess for the ARM 8 Pin Jtag locations. Are these correct? Any help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Yes the wiring is the same. Ultra is easier to JTAG since it has pins soldered. You can connect it on the front.
albysure

Post by albysure »

Thank you for your help and quick response. I'm glad to hear that it will work on the ultra. My question is am I correct with the pin numbering from the photo I attached in post 1 and will this work with an older USBJtagNT?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

albysure wrote:Thank you for your help and quick response. I'm glad to hear that it will work on the ultra. My question is am I correct with the pin numbering from the photo I attached in post 1 and will this work with an older USBJtagNT?
For ARM you need newer serial number. I have tested Ultre clone but did not post picture.
I believe the bottom JTAG is mirrored. Top one is much easier to connect.
albysure

Post by albysure »

I finally had a chance to try to jtag the receiver and I could not get the connections correct. I tried the pinouts like the picture I attached in the first post but that did not work. I also tried mirroring the order and that did not work. Has anyone here successfully jtagged this receiver? Are there any quality photos of the pinouts on the board? I burned my eyes out trying to see how the wires are attached in the photos here: http://www.usbjtag.com/jtagnt/ird/vs2000xtream.php but I am not getting it. The best I could come up with was pins 8 6 4 2 on top and 7 5 3 1 on the bottom. I tried that and could not detect ID code or CPU.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

albysure wrote:I finally had a chance to try to jtag the receiver and I could not get the connections correct. I tried the pinouts like the picture I attached in the first post but that did not work. I also tried mirroring the order and that did not work. Has anyone here successfully jtagged this receiver? Are there any quality photos of the pinouts on the board? I burned my eyes out trying to see how the wires are attached in the photos here: http://www.usbjtag.com/jtagnt/ird/vs2000xtream.php but I am not getting it. The best I could come up with was pins 8 6 4 2 on top and 7 5 3 1 on the bottom. I tried that and could not detect ID code or CPU.
I will back to you tonight.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I compared carefully your pin layout is wrong.
In your diagram pin 8 is pin 1.
pin 7 is pin 2

8->1
7->2
6->3
5->4
4->5
3->6
2->7
1->8

Got it? You should hev pin header in the front and use that one.
albysure

Post by albysure »

Thank you for taking the time and checking my picture. I correctly wired up according to your instructions. I am now getting this in response to detect:
IDCODE 80000000
ADM ADM5120
Unknown flash type!

I'm using the usbjtagnt serial in the 2700's. I realized that this would not read because serial number needs to be > 4000. I thought it would still detect correctly. Am I wrong about this?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

albysure wrote:Thank you for taking the time and checking my picture. I correctly wired up according to your instructions. I am now getting this in response to detect:
IDCODE 80000000
ADM ADM5120
Unknown flash type!

I'm using the usbjtagnt serial in the 2700's. I realized that this would not read because serial number needs to be > 4000. I thought it would still detect correctly. Am I wrong about this?
You should detect the CPU without issue. This is still not right.
You should use a multimeter to find the pins. First thing is to find the GND and then you can figure the rest.
In this case the pin is still not right.
albysure

Post by albysure »

Triple checked settings. I'm now getting:
IDCODE FFFFFFFF
Exit Thumb Mode

Thanks again for help. I'm ready to give up. It was a fun project.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I have tested both Ultra and extream without any issue.