Boston Clone

Backup of earlier posts.
dotrat

Boston Clone

Post by dotrat »

Well,
I cloned my buddy's subscribed cr4 and put it on my ebay bought PH9 with good success. I have all the music channels, a couple of foreign digital channels and most of the unscrambled analogs. I was worried that the older board would cause problems but it went well.

I was thinking of subscribing to the best package my provider has and then canceling later on to open up the HBO's and stuff. I'm pretty much funked with PPV since we are on demand up here.

Do you think this would work for me?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

It should work. i would unplug the box before calling in to downgrade just to be sure teh xc chip doesn't lose auth for the hbo's etc.
i hear ya about the ppv's. we are going to ondemand here in late sept. :cry:
Phredog

Post by Phredog »

What do they mean my "On Demand".

In my town we have three ways:

1. Order with your remote (I assume this is what is going away).
2. Order via your phone (touch tone menu - On Demand??).
3. Order via the internet (I'm not sure if they still do this).

I have never heard them use the term "On Demand".
: )
tester5

Post by tester5 »

is free movies and show times that u can play when u have time

for examplre u mised the sopranos u can see it ondemand when u want to but ofcourse u have to have the hbo packege.
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

adrianbv6 wrote:is free movies and show times that u can play when u have time

for examplre u mised the sopranos u can see it ondemand when u want to but ofcourse u have to have the hbo packege.
exactly. most cable co's are moving their ppv's to ondemand as well. ondemand means you can select a show at anytime and watch it when you want. so instead of waiting for the start time of a movie you watch it at your liesure. also, i believe you can pause and rewind similar to a pvr. not sure of this as we don't have it yet.
Phredog

Post by Phredog »

Hmm, it is sort of like ordering a PPV on my TIVO with DTV. I can watch it later.

So do you order with your remote? It would seem that the box will D/L the movie, to play later. It appears that ON-DEMAND requires "real-time" communications with the headend. Therefore disabling talkback (using a filter, or moving the coax) will prevent ON-DEMAND from working. Therfore rendering PPV erase useless. - Am I correct?
: )
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

you are correct other than the box does not download anythting. it's all controlled from the server side.
twistedps

Post by twistedps »

im in boston also, i feel ya... im just gonna order digital cable, but still screw around with the boxes for fun :P
Mrtvguy

Generic Boston

Post by Mrtvguy »

Hi everyone,I finally got my bdm working and was wondering 2 things.
The box is off ebay and is timed out with a 0,can I bring it back ?
And is there a generic NVram for comcast or the boston area kicking around I could load untill I get something real?
Thanx
TvGuy

p.s. I have accesss to a timed out box with a full sub can I use that?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

yes clone firmware and nvram to your ebay box. unless box you got off ebay is from your area you will only get analogue and free digitals.
Mrtvguy

Post by Mrtvguy »

Can u point me to a generic nvram?
Thanx
Also How can I get rid of the zero in the display of the unit that has been sitting?The unit sitting was in storage and still subsribed so it wasnt turned off,the guy just doesnt use it in that room,is there a way to get it unzerod other than calling the CC?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

usually "0" on the front of the box means it has been factory reset. if it is just turned off then use the "connect the box" function in the bdm software. that might turn it back on. i deleted your other post. no need to have it there twice.