Can't get ID from SBG6580

JTAG work on Surfboard cable modem.

Moderator: justsomeguy

suteny0r

Can't get ID from SBG6580

Post by suteny0r »

I've used this clip
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-SOIC-16WAY-T ... Sw0kNXgTzh

with several SB6120. I'm trying to use it with SBG6580, but id says unrecognized flash, returning 00's FF's or 9F's

I carefully followed the pin list from this thread
http://www.usbjtag.com/jtagnt/modem/sbg6580.php
and am using usbjtag pin4 instead of pin1 for the back-of-board connector, and buzzed out each line with a meter. all lines were correct.

I soldered a tiny wired on the back of board point (which, by the way is mislabeled - the label referred to is that of an SB6120. But I followed the photo to select the pad. I also verified that I'm reading 3.3v on that wire.

I verified my usbjtagnt is working with an SB5100 in jtag mode.

I'm using USB JTAG NT software version 0.81 configured for target SBG6580SPI

Is it possible for my usbjtagnt to malfunction in SPI mode only?

I cleaned the clip contacts with alcohol, and re-seated the clip a few times on the flash chip. I made sure the clip was pushed all the way down nose flush with board.

Unknown flash type!
Report these values http://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum ff,ff,ff

How can I troubleshoot this problem?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Yes you can have working JTAG mode but malfunction SPI mode. You might have burnt one or two pins of CPU which is not used for JTAG.
suteny0r

Post by suteny0r »

I re-tested it on an SB5100, still works.

I tested with SB6120 - same symptom. can't ID it. Sounds like the SPI portion no longer works. would be nice if usbjtag NT could do a self-test to spot this kind of problem.

I haven't been careless, but I have had it for quite a while. Is it repairable? Should I just buy another one? I got this one from [email protected] on ebay. 5/4/2010 lol I guess 7 years isn't a bad lifespan.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

suteny0r wrote:I re-tested it on an SB5100, still works.

I tested with SB6120 - same symptom. can't ID it. Sounds like the SPI portion no longer works. would be nice if usbjtag NT could do a self-test to spot this kind of problem.

I haven't been careless, but I have had it for quite a while. Is it repairable? Should I just buy another one? I got this one from [email protected] on ebay. 5/4/2010 lol I guess 7 years isn't a bad lifespan.
If you are handy it can be repaired yourself by replacing the main CPU.
JTAG is testing involves the contacting two devices with wires. If you are not careful, there is big chance you can kill the device. That is why there is RED notes in the first page of the user manual.
"Only power on the JTAG (or BDM) and the target AFTER the JTAG (or BDM) and the
target are connected. Connecting the JTAG (or BDM) and the target with either of their
power on could burn either the JTAG (or BDM) or the target."
ricktendo

Post by ricktendo »

You need to get an external source for 3.3v, like a UART board
junctionbox

any luck so far sbg6580

Post by junctionbox »

just wondering has anyone have any luck yet with sbg6580 as far as jtagging it if so pm me please
junctionbox
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I finally get a hand of new SGB6580 modem.
To program the modem ISP, you need to do
1. Connect pin 7 of U2 and Ground.
2. Connect pin 7 of U3 and Ground.
U2 and U3 are power supply (FR9886). The pin 7 is the enable pin, when ground the power supply to the CPU is disabled.

Most SPI flash should be able to do this way by finding the enable pin of the power supply chip for the CPU.
If the flash is FL128PL, you need to remove <lock>DYB</lock> in the SPIflash.xml for 25L128.
I will make a video for this modem.
Contract_Pilot

Re: Can't get ID from SBG6580

Post by Contract_Pilot »

You can also remove the zero ohm resistor R9325 near where you solder the ISP jumper the modem will not boot but you can read the flash. Replace resistor when done modem will function again.