DEBUG mode on MIPS target.

JTAG software bug report.
usbbdm

DEBUG mode on MIPS target.

Post by usbbdm »

You have seen some different mode and some time confused and I hope this post can clear some of the confusions.

When you see DEBUG OFF the CPU is running on it own and for DMA chip if you do "getram" "setram" you are access memory using DMA mode. Most of the time 12MHs JTAG clock works well. The "erase" and "sprogram" also uses DMA mode. In some debrick case it might not work. The blackcat uses this mode to program the modems and it is slow mode.

DEBUG ON, This is putting CPU to debug on mode. JTAG has full control of the CPU. It uses the memory of 0xff200200 as the memory from JTAG. This is very powerful and most of the debrick can use this mode. The available commands are
"erase" "sprogram","sgetram" "ssetram""scmpram". The "program" command is not valid. This is also slower than DMA mode but this is most powerful mode. Use "tap c" and "tap a ffffffff" normally will but the target to DEBUG ON mode.

TRAP ON mode. This is only used in fast programming mode. In this mode CPU has a small program in the memory and waiting command to execute. If the target is bricked TRAP ON mode cannot be used. In some cases TRAP ON maybe fake and it does not work. If you find the program stopped durring "erase" you need to
1. Power off the targeet.
2. Unplug the USB and plug back USB to make the program get out of the TRAP.
3. Power back on the target.
The available commands are "program" "cmpram". "erase" and "sprogram" are not valid and might get stuck.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I have put more debug functions to the NT since I need it to analyze the firmware.
The new functions include.
1. break on ram access with address specified.
2. Execute external binary file when in DEBUG ON mode.
3. easily display data from the register address.
The above functions are tested on DCT700 with four hardware break points and two memory break points.
If anyone interested I will consider release it as 0.33 but this is purely for debug feature.
lula

Post by lula »

I am the first
RIP_Felipeferras

i have this erros

Post by RIP_Felipeferras »

usbbdm wrote:You have seen some different mode and some time confused and I hope this post can clear some of the confusions.
-detect
IDCODE 00000100
Manufacturer not found 080

UJModem 0.20
-detect
IDCODE 00000000
ADM ADM5120
IMPCODE 00000000
EJTAG V1, V2.0
DMA supoorted
Unknown flash type!
Report these two value to http://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum 0909,0909

and now my usbjtag nt is not detecting any of my modems
even the ones that r new
thanks in advance
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

felipeferras wrote:-detect
IDCODE 00000100
Manufacturer not found 080

UJModem 0.20
-detect
IDCODE 00000000
ADM ADM5120
IMPCODE 00000000
EJTAG V1, V2.0
DMA supoorted
Unknown flash type!
Report these two value to http://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum 0909,0909

and now my usbjtag nt is not detecting any of my modems
even the ones that r new
thanks in advance
This is the thread of talking about MIPS debug mode. Your issue could be.
1. Connection problem.
2. Hardware problem
3. USB JTAG NT is damaged for some reason.
Make sure which one is it. If it is USB JTAG NT issue contact [email protected] to arrange the replacement.
noip

sorry

Post by noip »

First of all, sorry for posting also to the wrong topic, but i have this error too (0909,0909) and i mentioned it at an another topic, but it seems to some usbjtag driver/usb issue. If i pull out the usbjtag from usb, wait about 10-15 seconds, plugging back, doing a detect will solve the problem. This trick not always work, i need to cycle it 2-3 times to get it work, i tried it on 2-3 pc with different OSes (XP, Vista, 7) 32 and 64 bit, this bug is not related to any OS.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

noip wrote:First of all, sorry for posting also to the wrong topic, but i have this error too (0909,0909) and i mentioned it at an another topic, but it seems to some usbjtag driver/usb issue. If i pull out the usbjtag from usb, wait about 10-15 seconds, plugging back, doing a detect will solve the problem. This trick not always work, i need to cycle it 2-3 times to get it work, i tried it on 2-3 pc with different OSes (XP, Vista, 7) 32 and 64 bit, this bug is not related to any OS.
This is related to the initialization of the chip. Please follow this procedure and see if the problem disappear.
Run the application, unplug the target (modem).
Plug in the USB, wait until it gets connected.
Then connect the JTAG (note modem must be power off).
Then power on the modem.
Hit detect and see if the problem is solved.

I am searching this issue and add some extra code in 0.35. Hope that will minimize this kind of issue. The above issue happens more if you have modem powered on and you plug in USB. The current draw from modem to the USB JTAG NT prevent it to initialize properly.