USB JTAG  

Go Back   USB JTAG > General > News > Old posts

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default USB JTAG NT release soon.

USB JTAG NT will be released soon.
There are several reasons to discontinue produce and develop on USB JTAG.
1. USB JTAG of manufacture is more expensive than USB JTAG NT.
2. The main chip used in USB JTAG is based on USB 1.1 standard and is not recommended by the chip vender five years ago. The reason I picked this design was I was quite familiar with chip when doing another project.
3. There newer and faster chip is highly recommended by the chip vender. The chip is much more flexible and has more usable pins. (I will use this design to make one JTAG pin finder).
4. The cloner is working very hard on every improvement that we produce. (That put the USB JTAG into a dead project).

The first batch of USB JTAG NT will be released before end of Sept. Some cool features will be. (not limited to)
1. Adjustable JTAG clock. I had several devices that work only one slow JTAG clock. One example is Microsoft MN700 router. The USB JTAG NT will have three adjustable JTAG clocks. 12MHz, 6MHZ and 3MHz. (We could have chose 24 MHz as JTAG clock but the flat cable will be very sensitive to noise thus the length will be limited).
2. Unified USB JTAG and USB BDM software. On USB BDM, the adjustable BDM clock allow s us to work on any MC68332 device include ECU that will not work with USB BDM. USB BDM will have 6MHz 3MHz and 1.5MHz BDM clock speed to select.
3. I changed the basic `detect` so very unlikely you will get lock when `detect` modem. The sprogram will be very fast. As fast as 20-30KB for DMA mode. When DMA is enabled it will use DMA more than pracc mode which will lead less lock for the software or brick modems.
4. A much flexible configuration system than simple text based usbjtag.def will be provided. It is based on xml document and more parameters are possible.
5. If time permit, I might add the serial modem SB5102 in the release.

The standard USB JTAG NT will have similar UI as USB JTAG. But I heard many time people wanted to have a blackcat like UI to program the modem or DCT box, I will consider to develop one such kind of UI for modem hacker. The DLL exe combo sometime is not easily understood by a new user. Please give your idea on how to improve the USB JTAG NT software. The first software might not have all the platform supported (I am considering delaying ST20 and EJTAG64 in the first release).
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 AM

great...great news....

Hope to see this new jtag very soon...

One request... please add support for .p7 (motorola compressed FW images) for sbg900 and sb5XXX, all of the FW for the new SB6XXX use that format.

Thanks for ALL of your HARD work USBBDM!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Great to see things getting improved!

I can't wait to have my new USBJTAG NT

One suggestion would be add a rs232 circuit to the board, so we could debug the serial output into hyperterminal for example while at the same time jtaggin the modem, and all with the same diagnostic board

Thanks for all the hard work!!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naztheros View Post
Great to see things getting improved!

I can't wait to have my new USBJTAG NT

One suggestion would be add a rs232 circuit to the board, so we could debug the serial output into hyperterminal for example while at the same time jtaggin the modem, and all with the same diagnostic board

Thanks for all the hard work!!
I am sorry I will not add RS232 chip on it. It is just too simple and I will not consider this as a product. Any one can get USB -rs232 for a few dollars.

The new adjustable JTAG clock is great feature and I hope it will solve some problem we had on some linksys routers.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:31 PM

i have found usbjtag and rs232 can interfere with each other when both are in use at once
Old 09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejollybodger View Post
i have found usbjtag and rs232 can interfere with each other when both are in use at once
I do not get it?
If you are talking about RS232 on PC when USB JTAG is in use, that is the way it should work.
If you are talking about reuse the RS232 pin on USB JTAG chip, the problem is both USB JTAG and USB JTAG NT will not have pins for RS232.

To make one USB to 232 we only need one simple USB chip which will provide 3.3V RS232 and that works great on device that support serial data. Otherwise a small Max232 chip will work on most desktop.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM

I think they mean having the usb connected AND having a serial connection to the device at the same time so you can send/recieve data over the usb and monitor comm on the serial port at the same time.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Oh, That is cool. But it can be simply achieved by open two apps. There is no logic relationship between USB JTAG app and telnet (hyperterminal).
Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 AM

The hyperterminal was an example, just like if you had a "console" tab in usbjtag

GideonOmega got the idea, having the same device getting the console i/o while being able to jtag at the same time (conecting both wires to the right place - jtag, rs232) and all on the same board would be fun
Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Can I just use the normal COM port?
I mean use USB JTAG software for both USB JTAG NT hardware and normal com port. If that is the case, that would be quite easy. Another tab for console (COM port).
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naztheros View Post
The hyperterminal was an example, just like if you had a "console" tab in usbjtag

GideonOmega got the idea, having the same device getting the console i/o while being able to jtag at the same time (conecting both wires to the right place - jtag, rs232) and all on the same board would be fun
yea this can be use for DN IRD's as well...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Administrator

The first release will NOT have the serial port. I think there is quite a bit of good program that does the job.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbbdm View Post
Can I just use the normal COM port?
I mean use USB JTAG software for both USB JTAG NT hardware and normal com port. If that is the case, that would be quite easy. Another tab for console (COM port).

Yes.. currently there are chips that turn rs232 TX/RX into an usb virtual com port (like celphone usb cables and/or SBH Serial Diagnostic Board).... (quoting those as an example of boards/chips), sounds quite easy to make it and even the chips seems to be simple...

Being able to configure usbjtag options to your com port.. or auto-detect if it comes embedded on usbjtag nt someday would be awesome
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM

how is the dct6412 phase 3 work coming? will this new usbnt cable be helpful?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Current USB JTAG can do some testing on DCT6412. The first release NT will keep the same function. More testing will be added to NT only.
Closed Thread