USB JTAG  

Go Back   USB JTAG > USBJTAG (NT) > Product Support.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM
topdog200

Default Help Flashing SB6580

Is SBG6580P2 DIAG Rev.A 9-Nov 2012 where do i connect the Jtag. also this dont have the mx spi it has the spansion FL128SA
Old 05-24-2013, 07:53 AM
topdog200

yes. thank you i already followed that guide

Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog200 View Post
yes. thank you i already followed that guide

Did you solder the ground?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 PM
topdog200

yes I did, the program wont detect it, responds with this error code 00, 00, 00 I have no idea what could i have done wrong, I followed the instructions well i analyzed the layout for a day before i opened up my modem box and solder anything
Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Administrator

SPI flash needs a little bit experience.
SPI was added as an added on feature to existing JTAG NT.
So first make sure if your JATG NT has no burnt pins. I have seen people using NT on JTAG devices and cannot used on SPI flash because the pins to program the SPI was burnt. That was mostly due to hot plug. (Read the first page of the manual pdf).

If your NT is working with SPI flash (try on a known device), then it comes to the soldering or ISP pin.

For the device already tested by this site:

When ISP pin is used, you need to make sure your target is powered up. (Do not assume power from NT and most of the time, NT cannot provide enough power to power on the modem. Check connection again.

For the device which has not been tested by this site, then ask if someone else had done it or you might need to do some investigation yourself.

It is all about testing and there is a risk behind it.

One more word. Never hot plug!!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbbdm View Post
SPI flash needs a little bit experience.
SPI was added as an added on feature to existing JTAG NT.
So first make sure if your JATG NT has no burnt pins. I have seen people using NT on JTAG devices and cannot used on SPI flash because the pins to program the SPI was burnt. That was mostly due to hot plug. (Read the first page of the manual pdf).

If your NT is working with SPI flash (try on a known device), then it comes to the soldering or ISP pin.

For the device already tested by this site:

When ISP pin is used, you need to make sure your target is powered up. (Do not assume power from NT and most of the time, NT cannot provide enough power to power on the modem. Check connection again.

For the device which has not been tested by this site, then ask if someone else had done it or you might need to do some investigation yourself.

It is all about testing and there is a risk behind it.

One more word. Never hot plug!!
Sorry to disagree, I have been using my USBGTAG NT since 2008 and I do hot plug all the time on modems, boxes and Specially on SPI Flash's and I have never damaged my tool. While its a good precaution, its Pure BS that it will kill your tool.....

Last edited by CAPONE; 05-30-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
topdog200

well my usb jtag nt still detects my webby and my sb5101u so i know its working . just to be sure it that the correct ISP point in the back because this is the SBG6580P2 DIAG Rev. A 8 Nov 2012. Not like the others Ive seen around that are rev.1 or 2
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
well my usb jtag nt still detects my webby and my sb5101u so i know its working . just to be sure it that the correct ISP point in the back because this is the SBG6580P2 DIAG Rev. A 8 Nov 2012. Not like the others Ive seen around that are rev.1 or 2
OK, then nothing wrong with your NT even the SPI pins are right.
If it is a newer devices that is not tested by this site, then it might be some other issues.
One is to find ISP pin, someone I know who is very experienced and he said he can find any ISP pins.
Another one (untested by myself) is to apply the power on flash only. I am not big fan of this but some report back that it works.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbbdm View Post
OK, then nothing wrong with your NT even the SPI pins are right.
If it is a newer devices that is not tested by this site, then it might be some other issues.
One is to find ISP pin, someone I know who is very experienced and he said he can find any ISP pins.
Another one (untested by myself) is to apply the power on flash only. I am not big fan of this but some report back that it works.
WOW, Getting forgetful there? Sure you have tried it. A while back I mentioned it and you tried it and PM me saying it worked. After that you came out with your Little Video of how to use the USBJTAG NT as an External SPI Programmer. Forgot that?????????
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
topdog200

well i think the ISP is correct the solders probably too. I think is has to do with the flash type this is not the MX thisn has a Spansion FL128SA
Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
well i think the ISP is correct the solders probably too. I think is has to do with the flash type this is not the MX thisn has a Spansion FL128SA
Flash does not matter. If it returns 00 or ff it is because of connection.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
topdog200

i did check my connections now i am resoldering new wires and 1 gauge larger Ill try copper 1st then aluminum Ill report back the results. But just to confirm is that point in the back i have is the correct ISP point for this lastest Rev of the SBG6580P2
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
i did check my connections now i am resoldering new wires and 1 gauge larger Ill try copper 1st then aluminum Ill report back the results. But just to confirm is that point in the back i have is the correct ISP point for this lastest Rev of the SBG6580P2
Unless the one USBBDM pictured is same Rev, it's impossible to confirm that. However, one way to determine if it may be the correct ISP point is to see if the modem has NO LIGHTS when USBJTAG NT is connected since the ISP point puts the modem in a Sleep Mode state so to speak, which allows you to read and write the flash. If you get lights while the USBJTAG NT is connected, Then its a Clear indication that it is NOT the ISP Point.....
Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM
topdog200

Ok with that said, that is the correct ISP Pin. Then my issue is in soldering in the flash. I make sure this time they are solder in good until my 3M clip arrives
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
topdog200

Ok my friends, negative copper and aluminum still responds with unknown flash error 00, 00, 00, 00 please report. And once again here to report of an another unsuccessful attempt. But when I connect power no light so my guess correct ISP point. Back into my bat cave & hope this problem gets a solution soon or I'll make a $150 into two pieces, put in back in its original packaging and back to best buy before it's too late.