SB6121 Unknown Flash Type ff,ff,ff

SB6XXX,SBV6XXX

Moderators: justsomeguy, Koevoet

liviu

SB6121 Unknown Flash Type ff,ff,ff

Post by liviu »

I have 3 SB6121s that I need to upgrade using USBJTAG.
I was soldering the wires directly to the flash chip, using the same pinout as described in the SB6120 article and I am providing 3.3V power to pin 2 from a computer's power supply (the ground from the power supply is connected also to the ground of the modem). The power supply voltage checks OK, it's about 3.35V
Two of the modems worked but one of them is very stubborn and doesn't want to detect the flash chip, reports Unknown Flash Type ff,ff,ff (or Unknown Flash Type 00,00,00 if the power is disconnected).
I re-checked the soldering many times, I even disconnected all the wires and started over a couple times but no luck.
Obviously the modem works correctly with its current firmware so I don't think the flash chip is an issue.
Any idea what else I could try ?
liviu

Post by liviu »

Anyone has any idea ?
I am still struggling with this modem, three other ones worked perfectly.
moddog

Post by moddog »

Recheck all connection and make sure they or connected properly, if the connections or ok maybe the chip is dead.
Good better best
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

liviu wrote:Anyone has any idea ?
I am still struggling with this modem, three other ones worked perfectly.
It all depends on your experience. If you have already done many modems with SPI flash, I will not question your ability of connection.
However if this is the first time you are using NT on SPI flash, then you should better check connection as well as how power is applied.
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

liviu wrote:I have 3 SB6121s that I need to upgrade using USBJTAG.
I was soldering the wires directly to the flash chip, using the same pinout as described in the SB6120 article and I am providing 3.3V power to pin 2 from a computer's power supply (the ground from the power supply is connected also to the ground of the modem). The power supply voltage checks OK, it's about 3.35V
Two of the modems worked but one of them is very stubborn and doesn't want to detect the flash chip, reports Unknown Flash Type ff,ff,ff (or Unknown Flash Type 00,00,00 if the power is disconnected).
I re-checked the soldering many times, I even disconnected all the wires and started over a couple times but no luck.
Obviously the modem works correctly with its current firmware so I don't think the flash chip is an issue.
Any idea what else I could try ?
he has checked, seems like more and more ppl are having this issue. To the op I know your frustration it sucks when you double triple checked and everythings fine, and it still won't work and then ppl come along and say you can't solder or "check your connections. ppl there's only so much you can redo/recheck and everythings 100%, there's more to it, somethings going on here.

check you my thread bro
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Pir8pete wrote:he has checked, seems like more and more ppl are having this issue. To the op I know your frustration it sucks when you double triple checked and everythings fine, and it still won't work and then ppl come along and say you can't solder or "check your connections. ppl there's only so much you can redo/recheck and everythings 100%, there's more to it, somethings going on here.

check you my thread bro
But then again in your case, You may have burn a pin from connecting it incorrectly at one point. If not, Then why would you order another tool? In most cases it is a connection problem and even stated by USBBDM him self that ff,ff,ff = a connection problem and if the USBJTAG NT has a burn pin that is needed then you get the same result for the same reason, The wires may be correct but that one pin not making a connection = A CONNECTION PROBLEM.............. Plain and Simple. Now What is so drastically difficult to understand about that?
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
moddog

Post by moddog »

Pir8pete wrote:he has checked, seems like more and more ppl are having this issue. To the op I know your frustration it sucks when you double triple checked and everythings fine, and it still won't work and then ppl come along and say you can't solder or "check your connections. ppl there's only so much you can redo/recheck and everythings 100%, there's more to it, somethings going on here.

check you my thread bro
Nothing can be down from our end ,but he of to do the work him self, so one way to check if all pin on the NT is working is to connect the NT to one of the many modem he already flash, if that detect the modem, then maybe the SPI chip is dead before he get it or when the soldering was done.
Good better best
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

moddog wrote:Nothing can be down from our end ,but he of to do the work him self, so one way to check if all pin on the NT is working is to connect the NT to one of the many modem he already flash, if that detect the modem, then maybe the SPI chip is dead before he get it or when the soldering was done.
That's a good suggestion. But why would they think of that? :rolleyes:
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
stomperz

Post by stomperz »

CAPONE wrote: Then why would you order another tool?
Hope he's not coming down with RonReg like me.
Keep forgetting where there at. So I got one for the garage and one for office.
So two USB BDM's and three USB NT's.... wait a min why three............ oh ya it's a old model.
Wow that I was losing it:rolleyes:
Sorry for my poor English, it is my primary language.:rolleyes:
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

stomperz wrote:Hope he's not coming down with RonReg like me.
Keep forgetting where there at. So I got one for the garage and one for office.
So two USB BDM's and three USB NT's.... wait a min why three............ oh ya it's a old model.
Wow that I was losing it:rolleyes:
He ordered one because he thought his was damaged. Turns out now that he got the new USBJTAG NT, that the problem is not the ARROW but the INDIAN.......... But people hate it when you tell them its an error on there part or what not. So I sit back at times like this and LMFAO........... ;)
bustah

bricked sbv6220

Post by bustah »

A friend went ahead of himself and flashed forceware to allflash instead of ubfi. The modem is now bricked with all the lights being solid. It no longer seem to detect the device. It only shows unknown Flash Type ff,ff,ff. Is it possible to debrick it? Any type of help would be appreciated. Thanks!