3.3v for SB6121

SB6XXX,SBV6XXX

Moderators: justsomeguy, Koevoet

usbbdm

3.3v for SB6121

Post by usbbdm »

I have a user constantly talk to me over the chat that he cannot program SB6121.
In my youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFoXLnORZyY&t=9s I used a hack from USB JTAG NT to get 3.3v. Actually the 3.3v from USB JTAG NT is a little higher and not very reliable.
In his setup he used 3.3v from TTL and never worked for him.
Today I measured the power and found it drain about 450mA from the TTL and failed. The power supply also drops to 2.8XV.
So in this kind of setup, you should get a good source of 3.3v that can provide 750mA or bigger to get reliable programming.
The USB powered device can provide 500mA max include USB JTAG NT itself.
Make yourself a good 3.3v source is the key to get this kind of setup working.
If you program the chip off the board , then TTL 3.3v should be sufficient. When programming on the board, you are not only powering the SPI flash, you are also powering other devices on the board.
georgie21

Re: 3.3v for SB6121

Post by georgie21 »

I used an external adjustable power supply and at 2.25 volts I was able to detect chip. 3.3 volts didn't work. People who get errors detecting should consider getting an adjustable power supply and drip voltage. Just 2 cents
usbbdm

Re: 3.3v for SB6121

Post by usbbdm »

Thank you. I think lower voltage is both safe to use and have higher success rate.