Bricked 922, now what?

BDM (NT) on Star Choice
azcoder

Bricked 922, now what?

Post by azcoder »

I was trying to read/write all of flash memory and somehow after writing flash memory can no longer talk to the 922 with the USBBDM. The USBBDM is connected, but will not go "on". Nothing is displayed on the receiver. How do I get the 922 to talk to the USBBDM again? When I type "reset 1", nothing happens. "Flshdct 0" returns type ffff.ffff because there is no comunication. I looked through lots of other posts for simular problems with other devices and one stated that by causing a bus error the BDM would become active again. Not sure how to do that on a 922. Any ideas? I know usbbdm has a 922 to play with, so could you see what needs to be done to unbrick this receiver?

Thanks
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

azcoder wrote:I was trying to read/write all of flash memory and somehow after writing flash memory can no longer talk to the 922 with the USBBDM. The USBBDM is connected, but will not go "on". Nothing is displayed on the receiver. How do I get the 922 to talk to the USBBDM again? When I type "reset 1", nothing happens. "Flshdct 0" returns type ffff.ffff because there is no comunication. I looked through lots of other posts for simular problems with other devices and one stated that by causing a bus error the BDM would become active again. Not sure how to do that on a 922. Any ideas? I know usbbdm has a 922 to play with, so could you see what needs to be done to unbrick this receiver?

Thanks
If you cannot get BDM ON, then you cannot talk to it. Check the connection and pin 1. Normally it should work even the box is bad programmed.
azcoder

Post by azcoder »

usbbdm wrote:If you cannot get BDM ON, then you cannot talk to it. Check the connection and pin 1. Normally it should work even the box is bad programmed.
I use the BDM all the time. It still works fine on another 922. What to check for pin 1? I have a cable connected all the time to the BDM header on the board and just connect the BDM to pin 1 on the cable. After writing the flash memory it said power cycle the unit. I might have written almost anything to the boot area. It could have been trash or good code or ? That was the last communication. After the power cycle, the BDM was no longer talking. I tested some voltages on the board and it still seems to have a good power supply, but nothing is displayed and the BDM is not active. Any more ideas? I really need this unit to be alive again.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

azcoder wrote:I use the BDM all the time. It still works fine on another 922. What to check for pin 1? I have a cable connected all the time to the BDM header on the board and just connect the BDM to pin 1 on the cable. After writing the flash memory it said power cycle the unit. I might have written almost anything to the boot area. It could have been trash or good code or ? That was the last communication. After the power cycle, the BDM was no longer talking. I tested some voltages on the board and it still seems to have a good power supply, but nothing is displayed and the BDM is not active. Any more ideas? I really need this unit to be alive again.
If the BDM can talk to other DSR922 that means BDM is good. And you should have no problem with the connection. Then I run out of idea.
azcoder

Post by azcoder »

cipher 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
How I made my box go into BDM was to pull (connect) randomly selected high order bus address (A16 - A23) lines up to the 3.4V supply line using a 470 Ohm resistor and then I issued a reset 1 and init from usbbdm until it displays BDM ON.

You could also overload the 3.4V line and make the same thing happen by dropping the voltage, but that is not safe to try.

This basically creates a bus fault and the CPU will drop into BDM if BDM is still enabled and then the pull up can be removed to allow flash programming.
I found this post for DCT 2224/2244. Has anyone tried this on any other MC68331 based systems? I plan on giving it a try when I get a chance to see if I can bring the BDM connection back to life. Ideas?
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

azcoder wrote:I found this post for DCT 2224/2244. Has anyone tried this on any other MC68331 based systems? I plan on giving it a try when I get a chance to see if I can bring the BDM connection back to life. Ideas?
like the post said it might not be the safest thing to try..not saying that it won't work. but if by slight chance you did happen to fry your tool it will not be covered by warranty
live your life like a beer commericial
merkin

Post by merkin »

azcoder wrote:Ideas?
Since you have 4play source you should check page 119 of the MC68331UM.pdf.

He must have manually caused of double bus falt. Not the only way to manually enter BDM mode, assuming BDM is enabled correctly first.

Do you have access to a logic analyzer to watch the state of nBKPT during resets?

Or you can try different tools.

There is also the public domain BDM interface...search google.

And also an opensource solution here http://ecuproject.com/index.html. The ECU has the same target and similair flash (just different size).
azcoder

Bricked 922, now what?

Post by azcoder »

Well I do not use the 4play source because it only partly works for only the 905. I am using 4DMapMaster that can rewrite any or all of the maps in a 905, 920, 921, or 922. It generates a revised nvram that can be written back to the nvram using the usbbdm.

Using the 470 ohm resister and a 3.4 volt source (found a resister I could wrap a piece of wire onto), I touched the end of the the resistor to pins 6 & 7 or 7 & 8 of the cpu and did a reset 1. Viola! I got BDM on when I powered up the receiver and was able to rewrite all of flash memory (I did have it saved). I have an unbricked 922!

Thanks to all who have posted the helpful information on this forum.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

azcoder wrote:Well I do not use the 4play source because it only partly works for only the 905. I am using 4DMapMaster that can rewrite any or all of the maps in a 905, 920, 921, or 922. It generates a revised nvram that can be written back to the nvram using the usbbdm.

Using the 470 ohm resister and a 3.4 volt source (found a resister I could wrap a piece of wire onto), I touched the end of the the resistor to pins 6 & 7 or 7 & 8 of the cpu and did a reset 1. Viola! I got BDM on when I powered up the receiver and was able to rewrite all of flash memory (I did have it saved). I have an unbricked 922!

GREAT JOB...now didn't that feel super rewarding?!? that's the feeling that most freeloaders miss out on, it's why we keep on testing and learning new things ~the excitement is in the air~ once again GREAT JOB!
live your life like a beer commericial
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

azcoder wrote:Well I do not use the 4play source because it only partly works for only the 905. I am using 4DMapMaster that can rewrite any or all of the maps in a 905, 920, 921, or 922. It generates a revised nvram that can be written back to the nvram using the usbbdm.

Like Justsomeguy Said, GREAT JOB Buddy. Thats what TRUE Testing is all About.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
azcoder

Post by azcoder »

justsomeguy wrote:GREAT JOB...now didn't that feel super rewarding?!? that's the feeling that most freeloaders miss out on, it's why we keep on testing and learning new things ~the excitement is in the air~ once again GREAT JOB!
You do not know how great this is for me. It saved me ~$400 in receiver cost. I will continue pushing the envelope to see if I can make the Motorola 4DTV receiver a usable receiver again. We are on the right path. I think there may be a public release of the 4DMapMaster software real soon. Stay tuned!

I also have a revised/new TDSR922.xml and TDSR9XX.xml that should be released with the next release of the BDM software. The current TDSR922 is incorrect in USBBDM. Where do I sent it or post it?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

azcoder wrote:You do not know how great this is for me. It saved me ~$400 in receiver cost. I will continue pushing the envelope to see if I can make the Motorola 4DTV receiver a usable receiver again. We are on the right path. I think there may be a public release of the 4DMapMaster software real soon. Stay tuned!

I also have a revised/new TDSR922.xml and TDSR9XX.xml that should be released with the next release of the BDM software. The current TDSR922 is incorrect in USBBDM. Where do I sent it or post it?
You can put it in a RAR File and Upload it. Even thou it will be released in 0.57 when USBBDM Uploads it.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

azcoder wrote:You do not know how great this is for me. It saved me ~$400 in receiver cost. I will continue pushing the envelope to see if I can make the Motorola 4DTV receiver a usable receiver again. We are on the right path. I think there may be a public release of the 4DMapMaster software real soon. Stay tuned!

Just mail to [email protected]
azcoder

Post by azcoder »

OK, here they are for who ever wants them. I sent them to usbbdm.

Update: I posted the wrong files before. This is the correct set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
azcoder

4DMapMaster Restoration Program

Post by azcoder »

For those who have been waiting for the software to reload the 4DTV maps using the USBBDM cable, go here:
http://www.fridgefta.info/forums/forumd ... hp?fid=240
There are links to how-tos and the program. I am sure more USBBDM cables will be sold!