Support for DSR922 (4dtv)

BDM (NT) on Star Choice
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

merkin wrote:yepper i did it with the DSR bin examples in the 4play.exe source code and the cmd utility. the c>out is http://www.mediafire.com/?qjkhd0jt0jgsg10

But USBBDM....
How big are your full NVRAM dumps?

And does your DSR401/405 use extra SRAM like the DSR9**?

Must use the cable select pins on MCU to access SRAM on 4dtv units. This must be where it is located, since this SRAM is tied to the same +3volts as the XC and the data is lost when backup battery dies(thanks Alonso).

So how can this data be in the NVRAM?
•Non-volatile random access memory (NVRAM) is the general name used to describe any type of random access memory which does not lose its information when power is turned off.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
merkin

Post by merkin »

TUNDRA wrote:•Non-volatile random access memory (NVRAM) is the general name used to describe any type of random access memory which does not lose its information when power is turned off.
Yeah and when power is lost only the "original" maps are left.

Which means ONLY the "original are in the NVRAM

I appreciate the wiki definition, but I am well aware of what NVRAM is. ;-)
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

merkin wrote:Yeah and when power is lost only the "original" maps are left.

Which means ONLY the "original are in the NVRAM

Doesn't hurt to Post it. Most People Don't Know left from Right. LOL ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
wolffie454

Post by wolffie454 »

merkin wrote:ONLY the "original are in the NVRAM

I have noticed the stock tiles in flash memory, so this is not where that data (sat tiles/factory analog only CDT's, etc.) is actually stored?

Maybe I am way off base here, but isn't what we are calling NVRAM actually SRAM because that data is lost with a Master Reset, and the non-volatile is the flash RAM? Also the 922 has RAM, which I have seen is only temporary storage (so aptly named) with name of current program on the VC and next program, etc etc.

Basically what I am saying is that isn't current channel maps (including updated Sat and VC data stored in NVRAM (SRAM)??

If so, then some data is missing or stored elsewhere, originally 4play defined this location as $800000-83FFFF, but 4play quit working/didn't work for the dsr922 model, which leads to believe in the 922 some of the data is elsewhere.
merkin

Post by merkin »

wolffie454 wrote:I have noticed the stock tiles in flash memory, so this is not where that data (sat tiles/factory analog only CDT's, etc.) is actually stored?

Maybe I am way off base here, but isn't what we are calling NVRAM actually SRAM because that data is lost with a Master Reset, and the non-volatile is the flash RAM? Also the 922 has RAM, which I have seen is only temporary storage (so aptly named) with name of current program on the VC and next program, etc etc.

Basically what I am saying is that isn't current channel maps (including updated Sat and VC data stored in NVRAM (SRAM)??

If so, then some data is missing or stored elsewhere, originally 4play defined this location as $800000-83FFFF, but 4play quit working/didn't work for the dsr922 model, which leads to believe in the 922 some of the data is elsewhere.
Sorry, I thought you understood what I have been saying this entire time. No wonder why you have trouble...
anyway just look at the "Docs" folder in the 4play source for the pdf files on the IC's that are in the DSR-9** series.

I asked over at satelliteguys for 4dtv users to to open up the three different DSR's and tell me what Flash and SRAM is there...but got no help. All I wanted to know is if the DSR922,920,and 905 have the same model flash and sram.

"Stock tiles" = NVRAM (or flash memory)
"Generics" = SRAM

Flash memory IS the NVRAM (NVRAM IS NON-VOLATILE hence the "NV")
SRAM is volatile (Loses all its data once power is gone)
And according to the datasheet of the SRAM on the DSR's...well here is the quote,
"The families also support low data retention voltage for BATTEERY back-up operation..."

Unless the "generics" are stored in the XC, then the only other place is SRAM. ONLY XC and SRAM lose data when the battery dies. And Alonso already posted that the XC and SRAM in his DSR's are DIRECTLY tied to the battery.

Now whether or not motorola found some way to encrypt or do CRC checks to prohibit what you are trying to do since 4play was developed is anyones guess. I have some doubt as reading and writing specific memory ranges should work.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

NVRAM can also be battery hold SRAM. This is what I call them in DCT2224 or DCT700.
In DCT2224 the channel map are hold in battery hold SRAM not in the flash.
The difference between battery hold SRAM and flash is that flash needs to be "programmed". Even in the firmware there are special routines needed to writ to the flash while battery hold SRAM is just like regular ram but will NOT get lost if you powered the box off.
wolffie454

Post by wolffie454 »

merkin wrote:Sorry, I thought you understood what I have been saying this entire time. No wonder why you have trouble...
Flash memory IS the NVRAM (NVRAM IS NON-VOLATILE hence the "NV")
SRAM is volatile (Loses all its data once power is gone)
And according to the datasheet of the SRAM on the DSR's...well here is the quote,
"The families also support low data retention voltage for BATTEERY back-up operation..."
I think we are saying the same thing, just different ways.

"I have noticed the stock tiles in flash memory, so this is not where that data (sat tiles/factory analog only CDT's, etc.) is actually stored?

Maybe I am way off base here, but isn't what we are calling NVRAM actually SRAM because that data is lost with a Master Reset, and the non-volatile is the flash RAM? Also the 922 has RAM, which I have seen is only temporary storage (so aptly named) with name of current program on the VC and next program, etc etc."

Static RAM is lost with loss of power/reset. NVRAM is not. However, some SRAM must be battery backed as boss said, otherwise current maps would be lost everytime you unplugged the unit. Only thing I noticed back when unit was subbed is that sometimes it would require a rehit and trip counter would go back to 0. NVRAM (aka FLASH) stores only the stock tiles and analog descriptors, correct?

Sorry, I am sometimes a glutton for punishment because I WILL ASK QUESTIONS when not fully understanding such as these locations.

Another thing what is labeled "FLASH" can be easily uploaded from the IRD, it includes the F/W which is for mine v. EC. Now when FLASH is uploaded, you won't get "RAM" or "NVRAM" until you issue the "init" command, which I assume from reading that box is then in read chip select mode, and is until it is reset or power cycled.

Maybe boss will write another version of USBBDM NT with tabs named after the DSR922's hardware and locations. I don't care as long as memory can be accessed and backed up.

Boss, if you anything from me, I have several backups of flash, NVRAM, and RAM areas from different dates, including when I had box authorization.

Now, back to working on the refrigerator, defrost heatstrip went out, PITA!!
Harry181

Dissasembly of NVRAM

Post by Harry181 »

Anyone had any luck with the Dissasembly of NVRAM?
Far East of the Western World
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Harry181 wrote:Anyone had any luck with the Dissasembly of NVRAM?
NVRAM cannot be disassembled. Only the firmware can be disassembled.
What is the goal to disassemble the firmware? You wan to do some
1. SPI capture?
2. Fake UID like DCT2224?
3. Add some remote features?
Harry181

Dissasembly ...

Post by Harry181 »

Yes Boss, Fake UID, Activate Box the same as DCT's that would be awsome !!!
wolffie454

Post by wolffie454 »

Yes, Whatever "tricks" can be pulled would be "awesome". I am still trying to send them your way boss.

My friend sent you a test box, have you discovered anything in the f/w to auth channels, etc. If you want me to test anything on my end let me know, shouldnt be a problem. I am getting full NVRAM dumps now with g then bk commands.
merkin

Post by merkin »

usbbdm wrote:You wan to do some
1. SPI capture?
2. Fake UID like DCT2224?
3. Add some remote features?
1. 4dtv subscribers can send there own hits via websams. Sure beats phoning them.

2. 4dtv uses monthly category keys, good luck.

3. Like adding satellites and manual tuning? (similar to DSR's with "business mode" option)
wolffie454

Post by wolffie454 »

What I would like to see
1. Ability to open all ZK, FP channels like we used to have
2. Ability to synch the $%^& clock like it used to be, it didn't use to update everytime I changed satellite.
3. This should have been #1-Turn off all updating. I played around and did a few tricks to only have them wiped out on either satellite GB or G5. We need to turn off updating from the stream (or turn back on if needed)

BTW, my end goal is not to get free channels. I have DirecTV anyway for the family and general programming. But, satellite is my hobby and, hey, if I can get a feww channels they won't even let me pay for i.e Discovery or Playboy, I'll be a happy camper.:)

I am pretty sure there is a way to turn off updating and also to make box think it is subbed to a channel or channel is in FP mode.... Wish I knew how.
Harry181

Hey Boss if you Need?

Post by Harry181 »

Hey Boss , if you need any dumps from a 405, let me know.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Harry181 wrote:Hey Boss , if you need any dumps from a 405, let me know.
No. I think I have one box that is either 410 or 405. So the dump is not a problem.