How to select JTAG/SPI clock.

News to announce.
usbbdm

How to select JTAG/SPI clock.

Post by usbbdm »

I think I have posted before and still get some questions about the JTAG clock.

By default JTAG/SPI clock is set to 12MHz. You can set this in the xml or via command.

"speed 0" 12Mhz
"speed 1" 6MHz.
"speed 2" 3Mhz.

12MHz is reasonably good JTAG clock. It balanced the speed and performance. With this SPI read can be about 900+KB/s. It translate to 7.2Mbit/s. This is not bad consider there are overhead in the SPI protocol.

USB JTAG NT uses USB 2.0 high speed so it can reach 480Mbit/s. In another thread I am thinking raise the JTAG clock to 24Mhz or even 48Mhz. There is some issues with higher JTAG clock. The average user will have problem make good connection (wires length will be limited). But if someone would like to push to the limit and I am happy to do some experiment on the speed.

In the USB standard there is 1.1 and 2.0. In 2.0 there is also high speed and full speed. If one device is only support USB 2.0 full speed, it simply is 12Mbit/s and will not benefit the full USB 2.0 power.
Last edited by usbbdm on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moddog

a frn over sea want to no

Post by moddog »

usbjtag and usbjtags is the same?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

usbbdm wrote:I think I have posted before and still get some questions about the JTAG clock.

By default JTAG/SPI clock is set to 12MHz. You can set this in the xml or via command.

"speed 0" 12Mhz
"speed 1" 6MHz.
"speed 2" 3Mhz.

12MHz is reasonably good JTAG clock. It balanced the speed and performance. With this SPI read can be about 900+KB/s. It translate to 7.2Mbit/s. This is not bad consider there are overhead in the SPI protocol.

USB JTAG NT uses USB 2.0 high speed so it can reach 480Mbit/s. In another thread I am thinking raise the JTAG clock to 24Mhz or even 48Mhz. There is some issues with higher JTAG clock. The average user will have problem make good connection (wires length will be limited). But if someone would like to push to the limit and I am happy to do some experiment on the speed.

In the USB standard there is 1.1 and 2.0. In 2.0 there is also high speed and full speed. If one device is only support USB 2.0 full speed, it simply is 12Mbit/s and will not benefit the full USB 2.0 power.
Can you and more speeds like
"speed 0"
"speed 1"
"speed 2"
"speed 3"
"speed 4"
To have more Speed Choices?
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

TUNDRA wrote:Can you and more speeds like
"speed 0"
"speed 1"
"speed 2"
"speed 3"
"speed 4"
To have more Speed Choices?
Not with current hardware.