25L6406E 8MB SPI flash from Netgear WNDR3400

USB BDM software. Bug report.
Teddy Boom

25L6406E 8MB SPI flash from Netgear WNDR3400

Post by Teddy Boom »

I've been trying to read this chip from the WNDR3400. It doesn't detect at all, and it almost always gives 00,00,00 code. Markings are 25L6406E. I tried to upload a pic, but that keeps throwing an error..

Any pointers?

Thanks!
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

If you do not have ISP pin then you need to check the power. Not all the model can do ISP. What people normally do is to apply power on pin 2 of the chip (3.3V) and see if you can detect it. if not slowing apply up to 3.6V (the max voltage that chip supports).

If you are handy, you can also consider remove the chip from the PCB and connect to NT, (Find your self 3.3v or get it from NT).
Teddy Boom

Post by Teddy Boom »

And it appears to be resolved... Have to assert HOLD# on this one :)
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Teddy Boom wrote:And it appears to be resolved... Have to assert HOLD# on this one :)
Oh. Normally on board Hold is not needed.
Have fun.
Teddy Boom

Post by Teddy Boom »

Sorry usbbdm, I didn't even notice your first reply because I had the solution so soon after posting :) Thanks for the super quick reply though, awesome!!
usbbdm wrote:If you are handy, you can also consider remove the chip from the PCB and connect to NT, (Find your self 3.3v or get it from NT).
This is what I was doing. If you remember, I sent you a Cisco Valet Plus a year or two ago. On that unit, ISP access to the flash caused it to self erase (or something, but anyway I bricked a couple of routers just trying to ID the flash). So on new models now, I lift the chip first, get a backup--just in case :)

I had 100 pieces of that Valet unit. I never did end up doing much JTAG stuff with them, but still good to have it supported! I need to get some more routers soon, and WNDR3400 is a candidate.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Teddy Boom wrote:Sorry usbbdm, I didn't even notice your first reply because I had the solution so soon after posting :) Thanks for the super quick reply though, awesome!!

This is what I was doing. If you remember, I sent you a Cisco Valet Plus a year or two ago. On that unit, ISP access to the flash caused it to self erase (or something, but anyway I bricked a couple of routers just trying to ID the flash). So on new models now, I lift the chip first, get a backup--just in case :)

I had 100 pieces of that Valet unit. I never did end up doing much JTAG stuff with them, but still good to have it supported! I need to get some more routers soon, and WNDR3400 is a candidate.
Thanks for that modem.
JTAG to program the SPI flash is always preferred than using ISP programming. Whenever possible I would like to support JTAG programming.
However some newer devices are now beginning to remove the JTAG port to add a little bit security. People will always find a way to program the device regardless the JTAG port is there or not.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

You can put dd-wrt on those routers and they work well.