Can't write to DSR-920

USB BDM software. Bug report.
jspan

Can't write to DSR-920

Post by jspan »

Help! I am able to read the NVRAM from my DSR-920 but I am unable to write to it. I get a detect flash first error. When I try to detect the flash, I get an unable to detect flash error followed by this code: 4343,6f6f. Anyone have any ideas?

And why the heck does the software say that I am testing a DSR401?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jspan wrote:Help! I am able to read the NVRAM from my DSR-920 but I am unable to write to it. I get a detect flash first error. When I try to detect the flash, I get an unable to detect flash error followed by this code: 4343,6f6f. Anyone have any ideas?

And why the heck does the software say that I am testing a DSR401?
If you cant write it then the READ you got from it IS NO GOOD. You should zDetect First then Read NVRAM. Not READ NVRAM then Detect.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
jspan

Post by jspan »

CAPONE wrote:If you cant write it then the READ you got from it IS NO GOOD. You should zDetect First then Read NVRAM. Not READ NVRAM then Detect.
That's my problem. The software won't detect the flash memory. When I type "flshdct" the software returns with "unknown flash type!"
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jspan wrote:That's my problem. The software won't detect the flash memory. When I type "flshdct" the software returns with "unknown flash type!"
Thats why I told you that the NVRAM READ is NO GOOD. You have to First detect then READ. IF you can't Detect, Then you Must Fix what ever the Problem is. Whether its a Copnnection Problem or a DLL problem. It needs to Be fixed before you can be able to read and program properly.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

If you want setup teamviewer and I can take a look. The information you are given is not enough.
jspan

Post by jspan »

usbbdm wrote:If you want setup teamviewer and I can take a look. The information you are given is not enough.
How do you do that?

I just uninstalled the software and then reinstalled it and tried again. Same error when I try to write, "detect flash type first!"

Even when I type in "detect" the software tells me it's a bad command.

I will be gone for a week so if you don't hear back from me, that is why.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

jspan wrote:How do you do that?

I just uninstalled the software and then reinstalled it and tried again. Same error when I try to write, "detect flash type first!"

Even when I type in "detect" the software tells me it's a bad command.

I will be gone for a week so if you don't hear back from me, that is why.
Google is your best friend for teamviewer.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

usbbdm wrote:Google is your best friend for teamviewer.
LOL Never thought I would see you say that. BUT AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH.
jspan

Post by jspan »

usbbdm wrote:If you want setup teamviewer and I can take a look. The information you are given is not enough.
Ok, Teamviewer is installed. Any help you can give me is appreciated.
jspan

Post by jspan »

Just for kicks, I installed the software on a completely different computer. Hooked the receiver to the usb bdm and to the computer and same problem. Unknown flash type. Really frustrating.
merkin

Post by merkin »

jspan wrote:When I try to detect the flash, I get an unable to detect flash error followed by this code: 4343,6f6f. Anyone have any ideas?
That flash id is not listed in the flash.xml, hence the error. Or you are looking in the wrong location and that is not the actual flash id, but just some random data at the location you probed the flash.
jspan wrote:And why the heck does the software say that I am testing a DSR401?
Go to the "Tools" menu at the top, and select "Config" from the drop-down list.
In the pop-up window select "DishIRD" under category, "BDM" under protocol, and "DSR9XX" under target select.

Once you have the target setup correctly try this

Code: Select all

reset 1
init
flshdct ff800000 
If that flash window does not work then try the other memory locations in the TDSR9XX.xml

Good Luck
jspan

Post by jspan »

Once you have the target setup correctly try this

reset 1
init
flshdct ff800000 
If that flash window does not work then try the other memory locations in the TDSR9XX.xml

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I tried what you suggested and the software returned this...

"unknown flash type. report ffff,efef"

I want so much for this to work because I have seen the wonderful upgrade that others have reported. I seem to be the only person that can't get this to work. I have downloaded the software and instructions from https://sites.google.com/site/4dtvmapma ... -zip-files and followed the instructions step by step. It still won't work. What's really strange is that the instructions supplied at this website say nothing about detecting the flash. Seems very odd to me.

You also said "If that flash window does not work then try the other memory locations in the TDSR9XX.xml". I opened the file with the xml viewer but I don't really see any other addresses in the file.

I'm beginning to think I threw $68 away.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

jspan wrote: Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I tried what you suggested and the software returned this...

"unknown flash type. report ffff,efef"

I want so much for this to work because I have seen the wonderful upgrade that others have reported. I seem to be the only person that can't get this to work. I have downloaded the software and instructions from https://sites.google.com/site/4dtvmapma ... -zip-files and followed the instructions step by step. It still won't work. What's really strange is that the instructions supplied at this website say nothing about detecting the flash. Seems very odd to me.

You also said "If that flash window does not work then try the other memory locations in the TDSR9XX.xml". I opened the file with the xml viewer but I don't really see any other addresses in the file.

I'm beginning to think I threw $68 away.
Your beginning to think you threw away $68 in What? The USBBDM NT? The tool works, but the tool will not connect or solder itself. So don't blame the tool for your short comings.
Why don't you take USBBDM up on the TeamView Session? Clearly if others are able to program this target then the Problem is on your side...........
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I think the memory map is not right. I believe the flash is at address 0 not ff800000
Try command flashdec 0.
merkin

Post by merkin »

usbbdm wrote:I think the memory map is not right. I believe the flash is at address 0 not ff800000
Try command flashdec 0.
Do you mean "flshdct"? "flashdec" is unsupported command.
He already did flshdct. NT says unknown flash.....report....4343,6f6f
But DSR-920 has AMD 29F160D flash. According to datasheet he should get 0001,22D2 or 0001,22D8.

@jspan
Do you even have the mapmaster software yet?
Those instructions only tell how to read and save.
Maybe you only edit the battery-backed sram.

reset 1
init
ldram nvram (select your new bin file after editing with mapmaster software)
setram nvram
Attached an updated flash.xml with AMD 28F160D added. Also you should replace the original target xml's also according to the instructions with the ones attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.