Will this device work?

USB BDM software. Bug report.
Darkkeep

Will this device work?

Post by Darkkeep »

I have recently bought 2 2244 units, as well as, a plotter to create PCB's. Since I spent all this money on buying this stuff...I am strapped for cash to buy the BDM device. With today's times, I hate ordering anything that has to come across any border as well.

Ok, here's the question. I have just started following USBBDM's tracks of research and came across a site you posted on the Motorola Chip reader. Like was mentioned at ID and your last forum. The device used a parallel port (DB25) connection, a GAL16V8 micro. Only problem is, it's with a linux OPAL file for programmin the MicroController. It would be cheaper for me to build this device...and a lot less stressful with the Misses. My question is, will your software work with this interface? Did you flash the Micro with a different definition file that will only work with your software?

I am in no way looking to compete with you for anything. I am just a circuit designing eng. by heart. I would rather build something for the self gratification. I have built and modded tons of DN equipment, so not new to circuit design or concept. I am 100% into what your forum offers and have been looking for a community to call home. I suck at programming. Period.

So, with the hopes of honesty and trust (which can be a hard thing to earn in this day and time), Would it work? Or should I buy from you. Once again, I am a talented tech and can build almost anything...as long as I have the concept.

Here's a bit of the opal code in case you have forgotten the original page.

Code: Select all

begin definition
  device GAL16V8
  inputs
    DSI=2, DSCLK=3, BREAK=4, RESET=5 ....
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

sorry darkkeep but i don't like this post. this site is based on usbbdm's own hard work and time. i fully understand the build it yourself i lke to do the same. but he wrote the software and takes the time to develop it further. welcome to the board and please keep this kind of request to pm's only. i'll keep an eye on this thread in case it needs to get locked.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Darkkeep
USB BDM software will not work with your hardware. Period.
If you know how to use the open source code for Linux and read carefully the forum, yes it is possible to program the chip your way. The old forum also have some initial concept of how to make it work. Welcome to post your result of using a parallel port BDM.
cipher

Post by cipher »

darkkeep
You will not find a device like the usbbdm for a more resonable price. Nor will you find it easy to make the public ones work for you. I suggest that if you want to get into this stuff you get the usbbdm I/F or you could spend hugh amounts of time trying to do what he has already done. (usbbdm makes it easy for you.)