Issues programming CR3 Lite with usbjtag NT

XBOX NAND rad/write.
cataclysMic1

Issues programming CR3 Lite with usbjtag NT

Post by cataclysMic1 »

Hey guys, i'm not having any luck programming the Coolrunner3 lite with the usbjtag nt. I used impact to convert the jed file to .stapl .... I've watched all the videos redone all the connections 3 times. I'm thinking maybe i'm doing the pinouts wrong? the coolrunner is clearly marked as far as what pin goes to what... i'm using the xbox dvd connector for the 3.3v power. i have both the green and red lights on. i got my connections from the usbjtag nt manual pdf. they are as follows...

cr3 TMS pin ----- pin 7 usbjtag nt
cr3 TDI pin ------ pin 3 usbjtag nt
cr3 TDO pin ------ pin 5 usbjtag nt
cr3 TCK pin ------ pin 9 usbjtag nt

ground to ground and vcc to 3.3v ( these are right because i have power to the cr3, both green and red lights are lit)

this is the output that i get from usbjtag NT software:

Copyright (C) 2010,2011,2012
USB JTAG NT 0.60
Target: Xilinx
-ldram 0 C:/Users/ssdtest/Desktop/jaspertest.stapl
C:/Users/ssdtest/Desktop/jaspertest.stapl Loaded
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
Jam file does not exist
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
Jam file does not exist
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
etc...

once in a while after so many tries i'll get:
jam STAPL player version 1.0 Copyright etc...

but it doesn't do anything beyond that point never starts flashing...
also if i try to manually Ldram anything while its in xilinx mode, it immediately crashes even if i dont have the usbjtag connected... i've tried everything i can think of... i would have even just made the lpt cable and did it that way, but i dont have an lpt port or a header on the motherboard for one... cant think of anything else... help!!! :confused:
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

USB JTAG NT support .jam format. You should consider to convert it to jam format.
cataclysMic1

Post by cataclysMic1 »

hello usbbdm and thank you for the quick reply. can you point me in the right direction with the conversion? i tried finding a way to convert directly to .jam, but the program i found i couldnt get to work with windows 7... i followed the tutorial shown in this youtube video you posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6sozMOR3Qs&noredirect=1

is this video out of date? i thought the usbjtag nt software did the conversion automatically with the .stapl file using the "jam player" software you wrote?

also can you please verify me if my pin connections between the coolrunner and the usbjtag nt sound correct? thanks for your quick support and a great product.

i bought it a couple years ago because i heard how many devices it could be used on. i was able to dump the nand very easily so i figured there must be something i'm missing on programming this coolrunner 3 lite xilinx chip.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

cataclysMic1 wrote:hello usbbdm and thank you for the quick reply. can you point me in the right direction with the conversion? i tried finding a way to convert directly to .jam, but the program i found i couldnt get to work with windows 7... i followed the tutorial shown in this youtube video you posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6sozMOR3Qs&noredirect=1

is this video out of date? i thought the usbjtag nt software did the conversion automatically with the .stapl file using the "jam player" software you wrote?

also can you please verify me if my pin connections between the coolrunner and the usbjtag nt sound correct? thanks for your quick support and a great product.

i bought it a couple years ago because i heard how many devices it could be used on. i was able to dump the nand very easily so i figured there must be something i'm missing on programming this coolrunner 3 lite xilinx chip.
If your hardware id is older, you might not be able to use it as cpld programmer.
The connection should not be the problrm.
You can send me your file and I can see if it is the right format.
cataclysMic1

Post by cataclysMic1 »

my sn on the usbjtag nt is 4214... so i think its new enough ( it has to be higher than 4000 right? ) i'll add the attachment of the file to this post. i tried it twice so i'll add both files. thanks for your help... this xbox is driving me crazy:rolleyes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

cataclysMic1 wrote:my sn on the usbjtag nt is 4214... so i think its new enough ( it has to be higher than 4000 right? ) i'll add the attachment of the file to this post. i tried it twice so i'll add both files. thanks for your help... this xbox is driving me crazy:rolleyes:
I loaded your file and it loaded OK without crash. I think 42xx should be good enough.
You should power on your target.
If the connection is OK you can select any JTAG target (like MIPS) and see if you can detect the IDCODE. (It will lockup and unplug USB is needed). That is to test your connection.
cataclysMic1

Post by cataclysMic1 »

ok tried as you suggested. I was not able to get MIPSNWIRE to do anything but crash. as soon as i hit the button to ID the program crashes and i have to restart it. I was able to detect using ejtag > ambit120 this is what it returns for the ID:

-detect
IDCODE 06E5E093
Xilinx Part NotFound 6E5E
IMPCODE 00000000
EJTAG V1, V2.0
DMA supoorted
Unknown flash type!
Report these values http://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum 0000,0000

i also just rewired and soldered everything just incase the problem was a short in the wiring. afterward i checked wiring with a multimeter to make sure all the connections were solid. everything is good... but still the same error.

i tried changing speeds on the software but the slower speed just defaults back to full speed every time i try it.

i noticed that in the video you put up on youtube that the software version is 0.54 ... could that have something to do with why i keep getting "jam file does not exist" is the jam player not included in the new versions of usbjtag nt?

also i noticed that when i hit the write button it gives me this output

USB JTAG NT 0.60
-ldram 0 C:/Users/s/Desktop/jaspertest.stapl
C:/Users/s/Desktop/jaspertest.stapl Loaded
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
Jam file does not exist

i tried typing -jam directly, this is what i got...

-jam
Usage: pgmram address set program ram

i was wondering if maybe the cr3 lite i have is bad?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

cataclysMic1 wrote:ok tried as you suggested. I was not able to get MIPSNWIRE to do anything but crash. as soon as i hit the button to ID the program crashes and i have to restart it. I was able to detect using ejtag > ambit120 this is what it returns for the ID:

-detect
IDCODE 06E5E093
IMPCODE 00000000
EJTAG V1, V2.0
DMA supoorted
Unknown flash type!
Report these values http://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum 0000,0000

i also just rewired and soldered everything just incase the problem was a short in the wiring. afterward i checked wiring with a multimeter to make sure all the connections were solid. everything is good... but still the same error.

i tried changing speeds on the software but the slower speed just defaults back to full speed every time i try it.

i noticed that in the video you put up on youtube that the software version is 0.54 ... could that have something to do with why i keep getting "jam file does not exist" is the jam player not included in the new versions of usbjtag nt?

also i noticed that when i hit the write button it gives me this output

USB JTAG NT 0.60
-ldram 0 C:/Users/s/Desktop/jaspertest.stapl
C:/Users/s/Desktop/jaspertest.stapl Loaded
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
-jam RUN_XILINX_PROC
Jam file does not exist

i tried typing -jam directly, this is what i got...

-jam
Usage: pgmram address set program ram

i was wondering if maybe the cr3 lite i have is bad?
You should just click W once and wait. Do not keep on clicking it. It will not help.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Even though I have not tested on 0.60, it should still work.
cataclysMic1

Post by cataclysMic1 »

ok so what about the

IDCODE 06E5E093

will the usbjtag nt work with this chip?

and also what about "jam file does not exist"

do i have a bad install or something? am i missing the files to make the jam player work like in the video?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

cataclysMic1 wrote:ok so what about the

IDCODE 06E5E093

will the usbjtag nt work with this chip?

and also what about "jam file does not exist"

do i have a bad install or something? am i missing the files to make the jam player work like in the video?
I think the connection is right.
For the JAM file put it under "c:\" or "D:\". It might solve the problem. The reason is the file path has some special characters (like space) can sometime cause issues.

DO NOT CLICK WRITE MULTIPLE TIMES.
If you want I can take a look with teamviewer and we can even try 0.54 if you think that will make any difference.
cataclysMic1

Post by cataclysMic1 »

ok i'll try that and post back asap... thanks for your help
cataclysMic1

Post by cataclysMic1 »

no luck. same outcome... even tried it on a borrowed laptop... did exactly the same thing. also tried it on a 32-bit windows install (i thought 64 bit may have been causing the trouble.) no luck... maybe there's a new chip on this one i have, or maybe i just got one thats DOA... but i cant do anything with it. i think i'll try to find somebody with an lpt port on their computer, and build the cable i need to flash it that way.

this is the link to the chip i bought, can you verify for me that the usbjtag nt should be able to flash it? thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221200445995?ss ... 1439.l2649
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I would try different jam file first. Based on you can detect the idcode, you should be able to program this device.
d0

Post by d0 »

"maybe there's a new chip on this one i have"

that was my first thought too, I know that they have released newer versions of the CoolRunner..Also I am not sure if anyone has had any success with programming the CoolRunner, at least i have not seen any posts about it.