complete newbie

Newbies post here.
afallison

complete newbie

Post by afallison »

for one - i apologize for all the stupid questions i may be asking. i'm sure the information is there, i am just having some problems.

I came into a large amount of surfboard 5101's and i have aquired a usbjtag. i have dissassembled a modem and successfully connected it to my computer. i have downloaded the USB JTAG software and viewed the video on the help page on how to program with sigma.

my question is basically how do i program this modem with sigma. i tried to follow the commands on the help page and from the video, but no luck. does this have something to do with the .def file?

i understand that this is a very basic operation, but any information would be very helpful. thanks!
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Before you do programming, first you need to get familiar with the commands. Do the backup and restore first. You also need to understand where the firmware goes. Once you understand this, it is just a matter of know how to program the flash.
tester5

Post by tester5 »

5101 dosent have sigma....youcan probaly only change mac search the forum 5101 you should fdind how to do that i think has been discussed
afallison

Post by afallison »

first, thanks for the feedback. so if sigma cannot be applied, can the firmware? my ultimate goal is to uncap my modem. so a firmware update would be my first step - i assume. i have backed up my original firmware and i am just completely lost on A) how to update the firmware (and which version) and B) apply the 0/0 config file (max dl/ul) i have. also, does this process bypass the CMAC provisioning?

so where do i go from here. the issue i have is with the USB JTAG software. the videos dont match up. for expample, the sigma update video (which i now know wont work on the 5101) looks different from what i have. is there a different .def file being used.

i guess i am asking if i am over my head. i'm so used to provisioning modems on a daily basis that the "backdoor" way of doing things confuses me a little. i really would just like to find someone who has been on my level at one time or another and has learned the right way to get this done. once again, any help would be appreciated.

ps. i also have 4200 modems on hand - i have heard those can be just as easy - and without the usb jtag. thanks in advance. please any insight would be appreciated. and i apologize - for a cable technician - i sound pretty pathetic. lol.
tester5

Post by tester5 »

this forum has info how to program modems with usbjtag any other in detail info about the sigma and firmware mooding you have to go to diferent sites i heard google tcniso and theoryshare
bahamasair

Post by bahamasair »

Do you know what docsis your cable co uses? The only thing you can really do with the 5101 is to clone another mac to it and hopefully get the config that is connected to that mac. Being a cable tec you should have no problem getting macs that are not on your node so assuming you have a mac to try.
Hook the usb jtag to your modem and then power on the modem. Make sure it says connected in the bottom right corner. Then click the config tab at the top. It will bring up a window where you can select what modem you are testing.I havent tried the latest def yet so on the one Im using it doesnt have a tab saying 5101 I selected 5100. The new def might have the 5101 seperate I dont know. Then in the bottom window type "detect 9cf00000 200000" without the xclamation marks, it will read the flash. Then click on the sb5100 (or 5101) testing tab at the top and click "change mac" and enter the mac you have to test.
Then type detect it will detect what type processor the modem has. Then type "program cfg" and it will write the mac. Then you are done