April Fools

Include DCT cable boxes and Starchoice boxes.

Moderator: justsomeguy

Killswitch

April Fools

Post by Killswitch »

Yea, sure - John Goon has a problem. On April Fools Day, the city of Philadelphia got clobbered by the almighty Comcast Security net. All of the Basic channels are NOT AUTHORIZED. And, yea, you guessed it. I blocked the Deauth command going to the XC in the FW Testing index and faked a legit UID using the Remote option. I find it completely impossible to believe that their heat-seeking missile made its way past both obstacles. I'm in awe of it. Noticed that when I went to one of the two Comcast offices in Phia. that customers were "out the door" and I was 47th in line . When I go into Diags Menu and poke around, I'm still E 00 and Connected. I cannot find any difference that the shit has hit the proverbial fan. You would think that if they are gonna Deauth everybody, they would put a killswitch on the Free TV channels as well. They're still there! Isn't there an Erase Chip tab in the software? There's gotta be a way around this other than getting an Install Tech do the dirtywork for ya. Can't trust them - they'll fink you out to climb the ladder. Answers, anyone? And, please - no woe and grief. Won't care to hear it. Goodday.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

MoonGoon wrote:Yea, sure - John Goon has a problem. On April Fools Day, the city of Philadelphia got clobbered by the almighty Comcast Security net. All of the Basic channels are NOT AUTHORIZED. And, yea, you guessed it. I blocked the Deauth command going to the XC in the FW Testing index and faked a legit UID using the Remote option. I find it completely impossible to believe that their heat-seeking missile made its way past both obstacles. I'm in awe of it. Noticed that when I went to one of the two Comcast offices in Phia. that customers were "out the door" and I was 47th in line . When I go into Diags Menu and poke around, I'm still E 00 and Connected. I cannot find any difference that the shit has hit the proverbial fan. You would think that if they are gonna Deauth everybody, they would put a killswitch on the Free TV channels as well. They're still there! Isn't there an Erase Chip tab in the software? There's gotta be a way around this other than getting an Install Tech do the dirtywork for ya. Can't trust them - they'll fink you out to climb the ladder. Answers, anyone? And, please - no woe and grief. Won't care to hear it. Goodday.
And you are 100% Correct, their heat-seeking missile DID NOT MAKE IT THROUGH BOTH OBSTACLES. That's a Fact.... or the boxes would have gone from E00 to E01. If you look at the Error Codes you will find Out why the channels are reporting "NOT AUTHORIZED". Most people here have the misconception that "NOT AUTORIZED" means that the channel got De-Authorized, and that is not always the case. There is a secondary reason for getting the "NOT AUTHORIZED" Message. ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
d0

Post by d0 »

CAPONE, I agree with MoonGoon because this is the first time this has happened 'that i know of' since 2009 when I was tested these boxes.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

ak4d7 wrote:CAPONE, I agree with MoonGoon because this is the first time this has happened 'that i know of' since 2009 when I was tested these boxes.
LOL You agree with MoonGoon about What? CACO did not get thruough the two Set protections. Like I said, This is a FACT and Easy to prove with some simple programming. ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Now,we're out of the Kiddie Pool and into deeper water. Does being E 00 mean that I have a fighting chance to salvage this box? I don't know why I even ask - undoubtedly! Tried a CR4 backup on it without success. One of my associates has called it a day and pulled these units out of line into a corner to collect dust. I'm gonna pretend that I'm the cleaning woman and get out my duster. Where does a seasoned Tester start, Al ?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

MoonGoon wrote:Now,we're out of the Kiddie Pool and into deeper water. Does being E 00 mean that I have a fighting chance to salvage this box? I don't know why I even ask - undoubtedly! Tried a CR4 backup on it without success. One of my associates has called it a day and pulled these units out of line into a corner to collect dust. I'm gonna pretend that I'm the cleaning woman and get out my duster. Where does a seasoned Tester start, Al ?
YES MoonGoon, E00 Means these boxes can be fixed and it also means that CACO did not get thru the Protection methods we use.

Its like you having a lock and someone changed the key on your key ring, Now when you go home and put the key in your lock, it won't turn and you will not be able to get in the house. So nothing has changed internally on the Lock it self (As nothing has changed internally in the Box XC Chip) what changed externally was the Key you use to open the Lock. This is exactly what has happened, Caco did not get in the box to change anything internally, They don't have to. The change was external, They changed the Key. So in essence, YES the boxes are fixable if you find the way to program the Correct Video Keys. And YES its Doable......... ;)
BTW, As I said, It's easy to prove the theory if you care to try........ :)
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Yes, Sir - I'm a Locksmith and understand the deal. Perhaps, you're kidding. I'll need something the equivalent of a Key Generator and that's a rediculous ass-umption so I'm an Ass. This can only be done from the CC and, even then, how to approach it? I went and got an account and currently awaiting the Install Tech to bring a DCT 2500. I've already been told that you specialize in these old style units and do shit beyond compare. What do ya do? Change the lock cylinder? This one's gonna be Special. God, what a challenge! Almost everybody here believes that Keys cannot be changed. If this ain't Rocket Science, I don't know what is.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

For openers, my best guess is that CC is checking UID's in both the Firmware and in the XC . If they don't match, this happens. I'm gonna stick the orig ID back into place, let it take a Refresh hit from Comcast and see if that opens the door. Got my doubts but, hey - I enjoy the challenge of Testing and will take from there. Goodday .
snakeoil

Post by snakeoil »

MoonGoon wrote:For openers, my best guess is that CC is checking UID's in both the Firmware and in the XC . If they don't match, this happens. I'm gonna stick the orig ID back into place, let it take a Refresh hit from Comcast and see if that opens the door. Got my doubts but, hey - I enjoy the challenge of Testing and will take from there. Goodday .

This sounds good but three other things have to change in order to received the key or keys. ( lock-cylinder/pins )!!!
Prophecy is the most gratuitous form of error. Great ideas are the fuel of progress.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

MoonGoon wrote:Yes, Sir - I'm a Locksmith and understand the deal. Perhaps, you're kidding. I'll need something the equivalent of a Key Generator and that's a rediculous ass-umption so I'm an Ass. This can only be done from the CC and, even then, how to approach it? I went and got an account and currently awaiting the Install Tech to bring a DCT 2500. I've already been told that you specialize in these old style units and do shit beyond compare. What do ya do? Change the lock cylinder? This one's gonna be Special. God, what a challenge! Almost everybody here believes that Keys cannot be changed. If this ain't Rocket Science, I don't know what is.
So your a Locksmith? LOL I have been a Locksmith for 25+ Years. I am currently Moving from that career into the IT Field........ So I am glad that my Example made it easy for you to understand the problem. And NO, I was not kidding..........
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

MoonGoon wrote:For openers, my best guess is that CC is checking UID's in both the Firmware and in the XC . If they don't match, this happens. I'm gonna stick the orig ID back into place, let it take a Refresh hit from Comcast and see if that opens the door. Got my doubts but, hey - I enjoy the challenge of Testing and will take from there. Goodday .
No Buddy, That has nothing to do with it and as I have said, Easy to prove with simple programming. The fact that the Fake UID and the UID in XC Chip don't match is the basis of how the box gets protected from De-Authorization to some extent. There are other things that can be done to better protect the box, however none of that can protect us from losing video if CACO changes the Keys........ ;)
cali40

Post by cali40 »

it's so easy people all you gotta do you stop being cheap upgrade to full basic. and you will have all your channels back. Its funny all the people that are complaining all the ones how just getting free basic. so in theory stop being cheap in just upgrade that easy people
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Hey, Bobo - that was some really gifted, intelligent commentary on the issue of Testing. If your Dad wants to pay for ya, good for him. Until then, unless you've got an intelligent answer, just fold up your hands and twiddle your thumbs.
antonx

Post by antonx »

how about some genius develops software to write to the xc chip ,, then a lotta problems would be solved ,,, and it could be CC's system is just so different now that no matter what yaw think of ,, wont work
cali40

Post by cali40 »

all I'm saying is stop being cheap nothing comes free....