dct6412p2 discovery

DCT64XX,DCT34XX
merkin

dct6412p2 discovery

Post by merkin »

@usbbdm

Look at this

In order to r/w flash NEC CPU uses bcm7035 as a bridge.

I do not think it will be possible without bcm datasheet. :(
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

It is now time for DCT6412P2. At least I should see if I can get an hand on it.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

usbbdm wrote:It is now time for DCT6412P2. At least I should see if I can get an hand on it.
awesome!!! and a huge congrats goes out to merkin !!! good job being the one who intrigued usbbdm enough to see if he can !!!!!!!!!!
live your life like a beer commericial
merkin

Post by merkin »

usbbdm wrote:It is now time for DCT6412P2. At least I should see if I can get an hand on it.
Well then you should read the DSR550 case study by motorola employee.
DSR550 has NEC vr55xx MIPS CPU and BCM7035 ASIC MPEG decoder.

Here is some important quotes
...The DSR550 utilizes a 300 MHz RISC microprocessor. This processor is attached to a dedicated CPU bus interface to a high-end MPEG decoder ASIC. Primarily, the MPEG decoder ASIC decodes MPEG-2 video and displays it via analog outputs. In addition, the decoder ASIC is a bridge to several peripheral interfaces: SDRAM, 68-k style FLASH interface, and PCI. The CPU communicates with the FPGA using the decoder ASIC 68-k style interface.

During the boot up initialization sequence, the processor configures the 68-k bus control registers in the MPEG decoder ASIC. Several DSR550 devices reside on this bus and are selectable using chip selects. Configuration therefore entails initializing device memory allocation per chip select.
The block diagram is correct.
vr55xx CPU communicates with bcm7035 through MIPS interface and then bcm7035 uses a 68K bus to read and write flash.

We need to remove flash and read externally. Then disassemble the firmware in order to find out how to communicate with bcm7035.

This firmware must be very different than other HD boxes, maybe its possible to fake uid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

I am starting reading the pdf of NEC chip. Need some time to understand the concept. Will resume it after coming back from vacation.
UserName

Post by UserName »

those boxes are old no hdmi....
do not believe what i say 10% its true :confused:
auroden

Post by auroden »

UserName wrote:those boxes are old no hdmi....
Phase I and II have at least a DVI connector while DCT6416 Phase III has an HDMI connector and a SATA drive.