Debricking my 5100 ST

This is JTAG to debrick any JTAG device. Modem, cable boxes, dish boxes routers.
Naztheros

Debricking my 5100 ST

Post by Naztheros »

One thing I found it was weird on my dead 5100 was that It wouldn't detect... then after those poke commands for revival the flash started detecting... but I could not simple program the target... it was hanging on "erase".... (that would not finish even if let erasing for +2hours)

but doing the normal "erase" command seemed to work, and after that I could sprogram the flash... and then the modem came back to life :D

I tought the erase done with "program" command was the same as the "erase" command itself?! :shock:

(i'm curious why it halted on the erase performed by program command, but worked with the erase command itself) 8)
tester5

Post by tester5 »

first erase boot...
load a good boot

sprogram boot
then unplug
plug back in and program the other stuff regular
Naztheros

Post by Naztheros »

tester5 wrote:first erase boot...
load a good boot

sprogram boot
then unplug
plug back in and program the other stuff regular
and this is for ... ??

(did you actually took time to read & understand my post?)
~~ When everything fails... READ THE MANUAL!!! ~~
tester5

Post by tester5 »

my bad
usbbdm

Re: Debricking my 5100 ST

Post by usbbdm »

Naztheros wrote:One thing I found it was weird on my dead 5100 was that It wouldn't detect... then after those poke commands for revival the flash started detecting... but I could not simple program the target... it was hanging on "erase".... (that would not finish even if let erasing for +2hours)

but doing the normal "erase" command seemed to work, and after that I could sprogram the flash... and then the modem came back to life :D

I tought the erase done with "program" command was the same as the "erase" command itself?! :shock:

(i'm curious why it halted on the erase performed by program command, but worked with the erase command itself) 8)
That is different.

"erase" and "sprogram" runs on JTAG memory which is really slow. This is assume you have no access to system memory when chip select is not initialized. "program" uses RAM as its buffer and that is really fast. The statement for this is not true for ST20 cpu.

That is why when you debrick a device you need to use only "erase" and "sprogram" since the chip select routine has not been executed yet.

There is even worst case while the wrong routine is executed that the JTAG port is disabled. So the poke command will not run and detect get stuck. Use 0.19 can allow you manually set the flash type and you need to disable the flash by some hardware glitch while power on and use "bk" command to pause the CPU.
Naztheros

Post by Naztheros »

Wow!!! This whole JTAG thing is crazy! :shock:

And I tought was just a plug&write firmware thing here and there.. lol

Thanks for the well good explanation, usbbdm... now I got the differences between direct chip programming and buffered programming :D

Keep up tha good work, you're the man!! :D
extreme24

Post by extreme24 »

Wish i knew what yall were talking about