Experiment access Nokia 5110 with USB JTAG NT.

Video on youtube.

Moderator: justsomeguy

usbbdm

Experiment access Nokia 5110 with USB JTAG NT.

Post by usbbdm »

Since USB JTAG NT can support SPI flash and did quite well on it, I thought this can also be used on other SPI devices.

I bought Nokia 5110 module from ebay like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/84x84-LCD-Modul ... SwyQtVlIei.

The datasheet says the max SPI clock is 4M. I did some modification and now I can display text or images just with USB JTAG NT. I used clock speed of 3M 6M and 12M and all works well.

This is just experiment, if anyone is interested I can release software to let people have a try.

I will make a video tomorrow to show my experiment.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Here is the video
ricktendo

Post by ricktendo »

What is the modifications you did to your usbjtag for and how can I do it, what are the instructions and parts needed?

I am OK with a soldering iron and heat gun, I have successfully upgraded my SB5101 ram from 8MB to 32MB
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

ricktendo wrote:What is the modifications you did to your usbjtag for and how can I do it, what are the instructions and parts needed?

I am OK with a soldering iron and heat gun, I have successfully upgraded my SB5101 ram from 8MB to 32MB
You need 3.3v source. In the video I used the 3.3v from the board. (Not recommended).
I have not released the software, but if you are interested, I can release a minor version to have this feature working. Actually I might be able to add more SPI LCD displays. Maybe I can even put I2C LCD.

This was purely experiment when I get my hand on Nokia 5110 display on some fun project and use USB JTAG NT to help me find the protocol to display. It turns out it is even easier than using micro controller like STM8.