USB JTAG NT 0.39 uploaded.

News to announce.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

FTDI module shipped back with RMA. But not getting anything from them yet.
we receive the cable the tech department are evaluating the part.
We will let you know the answer.
Have a great day!

Thank you,
Julieta
So I have to wait until I got the unit so I can release 0.40 to support it.

I have played Linux for the past week for other project and had the idea to support USB JTAG NT on Linux. I think a lot of testers are willing to test their hardware on Linux. So I will spend some more time on planning port the code to Linux. (Even Mac in the future). The current code base is based on Microsoft development tool and it is very poor at porting to other platform. I will select another tool that allow it run on different OS. If there is enough interest I will start soon.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Based on tracking the module is in the customs today. So I hope I can get it soon.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

usbbdm wrote:I have played Linux for the past week for other project and had the idea to support USB JTAG NT on Linux. I think a lot of testers are willing to test their hardware on Linux. So I will spend some more time on planning port the code to Linux.
I'm interested in testing Linux support! Even if you only create commandline tools in the beginning, there's a significant number of embedded developers who's cross-development machines also run Linux. Having a Windows-based machine on the desk is only making things worse.

I guess you have many customers who are embedded developers. They will surely *love* Linux support, and nobody will ask for a GUI (in fact, I'd expect many people to add your CMD line tools into their makefiles!).

Jens
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Paradroid wrote:I'm interested in testing Linux support! Even if you only create commandline tools in the beginning, there's a significant number of embedded developers who's cross-development machines also run Linux. Having a Windows-based machine on the desk is only making things worse.

I guess you have many customers who are embedded developers. They will surely *love* Linux support, and nobody will ask for a GUI (in fact, I'd expect many people to add your CMD line tools into their makefiles!).

Jens
My plan is to release 0.40 soon (after I got the FTDI module and add support), hope within one week.
Then I will release 0.41 on new toolset (mostly based on QT). Then I will move 0.41 to Linux and then Mac. This will be fun for a lot of the people. The GUI should be exactly the same on all the platforms and getting better and better.
0.41 will be big milestone.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

The QT license sucks. Take a look at wxWidgets (formerly known as wxWindows), that's a nice cross-platform API:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/

Jens
usbbdm

Stop FTDI support.

Post by usbbdm »

I got the replacement of FTDI today and to my surprise this unit is again DOA. So I will NOT support this module since it really sucks.

Here is the picture

The mini USB design is really bad and I now have no plan to support it until I get a full working one. I have wasted one of month and I gave up on this one.

The first order
Sat, 6/12/10 and , 6/22/10 send back with RMA. Then they ship back 7/2/10 and received on 7/10/10. All I got was a dead non-working unit.

So I will release 0.40 tonight and forget FTDI.0.40 will have some nice feature.
1. Have bkackcat LPT support.
2, Large SPI flash detect.
3. Allow to switch target without unplug the USB. (Truly hot swap will be supported iin future release).
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I have to revert my previous opinion about the QT license: My information was old, before Nokia bought Trolltech. Obviously, the new license is more open and now mostly accepted within the open-source community.

Jens